Engine worth rebuilding?

KellyC

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Is this engine worth anything as far as rebuilding it? Found the add on CL when looking for a engine and outdrive for my boat. Here is some of what it says.

It has a 224 cubic inch 4 cylinder aluminum engine . So the engine's weight wont slow you down, but it also has a mercruiser cast iron head (serial #6921075) on it that boosts the horse power up to 175, which is good for a 4 cylinder. But it does have a blown head gasket that will need to be repaired. And it doesn't only use fresh water to cool it down but it also has a radiator so if you take it out into the ocean the salt water wont damage things.

And here is the add
http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/boa/2265051365.html

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Engine worth rebuilding?

Anyway you look at it, it's the Mercruiser 470.
Aluminum block, open deck design, head is a 460 Ford cast iron head (standard head for a 470).
If you don't already own it, keep looking for a boat. You don't want to start with a boat that needs a 470 rebuilt.

KellyC

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Engine worth rebuilding?

Thank you very much Don, and no I don't own it yet. Was just looking, did not know it was the 470 and heard those should be steered clear of. I will keep my eyes open for something else. Just the add looked good that is why I asked here before I even contacted the add owner, thank you again.
Kelly