need help with new prop selection

Pas Bon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
2002 Baystealth 1880 rolled gunwale
2002 Yamaha F115
Current stock prop 13" x 19 pitch

With a light to medium load the boat will get up, albeit sluggishly and will run at WOT around 5800-6000. with a top speed of between 35 and 40 mph. Thats great for 2 people or me and the wife and small kids.

However with a big load of 4 men, full fuel and 100 qt ice chest full of ice and misc other gear it is an absolute SLUG out of the hole.

If I got a second prop (I'm considering a Michigan wheel because of its lower cost, seems to be stock type prop), in a 17 pitch would that help considerably in those heavy load situations?

Any help will be appreciated.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: need help with new prop selection

Your setup in the water with no load your boat is about 2,000lbs.Double check your prop size under the prop nut.
You are presently running at the max rated rpm,6,000.If you drop to a 15 from a 19 your rpm could increase to 6,800.You would have watch closely not to exceed 6,000 with a light load.
A better choice would be a 4 blade 18" pitch prop in about the same diameter.Avoid an extreme
diameter increase.Should plane easier stay on plane with less throttle
Be sure you trim in for hole shot,Be sure the motor is in excellent tune and throttle opens all the way.Try to balance the load not too much in the stern.

Pas Bon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your setup in the water with no load your boat is about 2,000lbs.Double check your prop size under the prop nut.
You are presently running at the max rated rpm,6,000.If you drop to a 15 from a 19 your rpm could increase to 6,800.You would have watch closely not to exceed 6,000 with a light load.
A better choice would be a 4 blade 18" pitch prop in about the same diameter.Avoid an extreme
diameter increase.Should plane easier stay on plane with less throttle
Be sure you trim in for hole shot,Be sure the motor is in excellent tune and throttle opens all the way.Try to balance the load not too much in the stern.

Thanks! I guess I was really thinking about going to a 17 from a 19. I will probably only use it when I'm loaded down.

I pulled the prop and it has 13 x 19 on the under side so I assume it's a 13"

What do you think about going to a 13 1/4 17 with my set up? Reason being I found a REAL good deal on a 13 1/4 17 pitch (3 blade)

Robbabob

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Pas,

That new size should work out okay, just remember the higher rpm potential when not so loaded down. Also, what material is the current and proposed prop?

I would still look for the 4-blade to help the hole-shot, but the top end will suffer a little. If you are wanting the best of both worlds, you can't get it! LOL Go with the 3-blade 17P if you still want ALL the performance possible.

Good luck!

Pas Bon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well,

I took my current SS prop to a highly recommended proptologist, I describe my set up and performance and he seemd to know right away what he could do to increase the hole shot and add a little stern lift. For $80 he added a slight amount of cup and (rolled the front edge :confused: not sure exactly what this meant but he told me he was gonna do it) He also drilled out some vent holes. I'm gonn test it out tomorrow so I'll post up with the results.:) fingers are crossed!