Tilt\trim OMC 3 liter i\o PLEASE HELP!

I have a omc sterndrive i\o 3 liter and my tilt\trimn isn't working properly. I have to tap the casing on the bottom of the enginge everytime i want to raise or lower the engine. Do i ned to clean the terminals? is seems to work fine after taping... should i open the casing and investigate?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Tilt\trim OMC 3 liter i\o PLEASE HELP!

What kind of drive? What year?

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

tilt or trim?
they're two entirely different electric motors on a 1985 OMC.

tilt or trim?
they're two entirely different electric motors on a 1985 OMC.

The tilt i think, the one that controls up and down controls for the motor. I'm kinda new to boat ownership. I know alot about engines so ive already fixed the fuel pump and carburater. I just don't know much about this raising and lowering problem. I have to tap the box on the bottom of the engine everytime i wanna move it. Thank for your replies Don!

Bondo

Staff member

The tilt i think, the one that controls up and down controls for the motor.

Ayuh,... Tilt raises only the outdrive,... Never run it Tilted...

Trim raises, 'n lowers the front of the motor....

Ayuh,... Tilt raises only the outdrive,... Never run it Tilted...

Trim raises, 'n lowers the front of the motor....

ok its the tilt, thanks! i know it raises and lowers fine, but i have to tap it everytime. . im not running it in anything but the fully lowered postion

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

follow the wires back from the motor (1 green and 1 blue-heavy 12 ga. wire ) remove the leads from the 2 relays, and file both sides shiny, then - most important- file the terminal side of each nut shiny.

then, remove the 50A barrel fuses and clean the corrosion off them with some steel wool
continue cleaning all wiring right back to the battery

then grease the trunnion bearings where the outdrive pivots - pull the rubber steering bumpers off to reveal the grease fittings

follow the wires back from the motor (1 green and 1 blue-heavy 12 ga. wire ) remove the leads from the 2 relays, and file both sides shiny, then - most important- file the terminal side of each nut shiny.

then, remove the 50A barrel fuses and clean the corrosion off them with some steel wool
continue cleaning all wiring right back to the battery

then grease the trunnion bearings where the outdrive pivots - pull the rubber steering bumpers off to reveal the grease fittings

Thanks so much, im going to do that tomorrow morning then get back to you. Is there a marine grease that i should use? and do i need a grease gun?

CobiaXL

Banned

I had same issue and come to find out my case which holds clutch pack was full of water,also leaked into tilt motor..I had motor rebuilt and added zerk fitting and filled with grease,no issues since and that was 2 yrs ago.Good luck.

I had same issue and come to find out my case which holds clutch pack was full of water,also leaked into tilt motor..I had motor rebuilt and added zerk fitting and filled with grease,no issues since and that was 2 yrs ago.Good luck.

But... thats not the reason that you rebuilt the motor right?

CobiaXL

Banned

It was a combination of all the above but ya motor was full of water and brushes were rusted.Would work if i hit with hammer but one day nothing helped.I had to remove gear and manually raise unit at boat ramp last time it happened.

its really cold and rainy, and cold im gonna do what you said howard and get back to you. I appreciate the information the terminals looks pretty bad im gonna get them all cleaned up.

fedexguy99

Cadet
Tilt I got glastron 1983 OMC Stern Drive 3.0 L 302STHRCTR Stern Drive my tilt is not working Good or some time doesn't want to go up at all just clicking noise Here is the list of things I have done Brand new tilt motor Check all the power source and clean Clutch pack looks great Brand new battery Took off half moon quadrant and stern moving up And down by hand freely All selinod working full power And new tilt warm shaft Hammer blow coupler looks great What else can I check Should I change clutch shaft bushing? Thank you hope to hear from u soon

southkogs

Staff member
Hey fedexguy:

It's against forum rules to pull up an old topic (over 90 days) unless you're the original poster. Starting a new thread will also work better getting you some help. Also, a little punctuation would help us figure out what you're asking.

When you start your new thread, add in if you've put in new solenoids. It sounds like your problem is intermittent which suggests a solenoid issue to me.

fedexguy99

Cadet
Sorry about that iam new to this But I put jumper cables direct to motor wire socket still nothinas I listed things I changed Hope fully someone will help me out thx

1985omc3ltr let me know what you end up finding out. I have the exact same drive and motor as yours and I'm having a similar problem. My drive will not tilt down at all and I've gone through all of the wiring, solenoids, etc. I even put a new tilt motor on it thinking the windings were bad. I haven't dug into the mechanics yet but I plan to this weekend.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
fedex and chill - Start your own topics. You shouldn't be tagging on to old, inactive topics.