mercury kf-5

steelestandn

Seaman Apprentice
I have a question about the in tank fuel filter on my super 5. I heard some rattling inside my tank so i took it off and unscrewed the hex nut on the bottom and found the filter had broken off inside. Can i put a filter on the gas line between the tank and carb? Or does it need to be inside the tank? thanks

steelestandn

Seaman Apprentice
Re: mercury kf-5

Ya i have been there and posted. No bites yet. I would think that an external filter wouldn't make much of a difference but i could be wrong.

JasonAych

Petty Officer 1st Class

Buy a plastic filter for a more modern Merc. For instance a 1991 8hp. Drill A hole in the center of the top of the filter. It is perfect dimension wise. Just use the stud and nut that was holding the old filter element. I did it on a KG7 amd Mark 5. I forget which size drill bit. I just pick one that will make the stud fit snug.

JasonAych

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think it is called a filter cartridge and should be less that $10.

steelestandn

Seaman Apprentice

thanks jason. So should the new filter be fitted on the outside or inside of the tank?

JasonAych

Petty Officer 1st Class

On the inside. It replaces the stone filter. The stone filter should have been held on by a stud with a nut on the end. Drill a hole in the filter cartridge i told you about and put it in the same spot.