Distributor and Wires

lookupsayaw

Banned
Okay I'm trying to start my boat and its not firing. So I wanted to replace the spark plugs and wires. Well I changed the plugs but I can't seem to get the wires off. I have a 1964 Johnson 75hp outboard. Are those plugs built into the distributor cap or am I just not pulling hard enough.
One more thing if I replace them can I just make some custom wires instead of spending $15 for originals?CIMG0055.jpgCIMG0085.jpg

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Distributor and Wires

My guess is that they have been on there for years and have a little corrosion on the contacts. This is pretty common and yes it can take some hard pulling to remove them. Try working them side to side until they break loose then remove them. You can just pull until they come off, but it will break the end off of the wire. Maybe you don't care as you want to replace them. Use dielectric grease when installing to prevent this from happening again.

So why are you changing the wires? "Not firing" could be a lot of things but plug wires is not where I would start, and just throwing parts at it can get pretty expensive. Maybe a little troubleshooting?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Those wires have a screw on connector attached to the end of them. They unscrew from the distributor cap. Very unlikely all of the wires are faulty.

If you have spark at the coil but none at the plug wires, the ignition rotor is shorted out and will require replacing.

yorab

Ensign

Don't pull! I see you have the mageto setup so yours may be different than mine, but I don't think so. Those wires have small threaded brass connectors crimped onto the ends of them. They turn out! You can certainly pull the wire out if you pull hard enough but then you'll have a hell of time getting the connectors out of the cap. Turn counterclockwise to remove.

lookupsayaw

Banned

I took a voltage meter to the side of the distributor cap where the wire from the magneto and started cranking .I didn't get a reading. I don't know if i did it wrong or what. It was on the voltage setting. I looked at the coil and it looks pretty good to me, no cracks just shiny black. The boat has been sitting for over 20 years. But only has maybe 10 hrs on it tops. Can a magneto go bad?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Wire on side of magneto leading to engine wiring harness leads to ignition switch. Disconnect it temporarily, leaving the other shorter magneto wire securely attached.

Make sure the points are clean and set to .020 on the cam high lobe

Remove the magneto distributor cap. Attach a spark tester of some kind to the internal coil's high tension terminal and set the test gap to 1/4". Crank the magneto. If you have spark, replace the rotor. If no spark, the usual cause is a faulty coil.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Besides, you can't test for spark with a voltmeter. But you might be able to destroy your meter.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you have a Kilo-voltmeter you can test your spark output.

lookupsayaw

Banned

How would I clean and gap the points. How would I keep the motor in time?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Remove the spark plugs.

Remove the three screws retaining the aluminum timing wheel cover but leave the belt on. Leaving the belt on keeps the engine in time.

This reveals a opening in the timing wheel whereas you can inspect and set the points if need be.

If the belt comes off, or if you take it off, don't get upset as we can easily guide you to reinstall the belt properly.