Pennzoil-Walmart

robert graham

Admiral
We stopped by Walmart in Amelia Island, Florida this weekend to buy some Pennzoil 100% Synthetic Outboard Motor Oil, which is usually $27/gallon, the guy confirmed that Walmart would not be carrying the 100% stuff any more, only the Synthetic Blend. He had his Pennzoil 100% on sale for $21/gallon, so I stocked up 4 gallons. I checked the price of Mercury Quicksilver 100% Synthetic there at $39/gallon! I'm sure the Pennzoil 100% stuff will still be available somewhere but not at Walmart prices! Good Luck!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Pennzoil-Walmart

I was at a Wallyworld yesterday. They still has all the unsual brands and no sales on any 2 cycle oil. I guess the sales are local in nature? Anyone know?

boater1234

Master Chief Petty Officer

I stocked up to,20 gallons so far.The only other place i know that sells it is west marine at $40 a gallon.I think pennzoil full synthetic is the best for the money.If i can't find that i will go with amsoil but i think 20 gallons will last me for a long time since i have a 15hp 2stroke.I hit every walmart when i see them and if they have it i just buy what they have.At least i know it's not just me doing this.lol.The blend is no were near as good as the full synthetic.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Yes, I think that 20 gal will last you many years. Let's see, you can make 1000 gal mixed fuel, and at 1.5 gal per hour max fuel usage in that motor, you will get 666 hours of usage, and at 4 hours of running per fishing trip, that is about 166 fishing trips. if you do 10 trips a year (1 per weekend), you have 16 years worth of oil.

boater1234

Not bad but i will be going like 3 to 5 days a week.So thats out the window.It may last me 2 to 4 yrs.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Walmart seems to be all over the place with the Pennzoil products. The stores in my area used to carry the semi-synthetic, which I like, but then quit. Now you are hearing that they will do away with the full synthetic and sell the semi-synthetic. I wish they would make up their minds.

For those of you who have Academy Sports stores near you, Pennzoil semi-synthetic is available in 2.5 gallon jugs. I haven't bought any since before the first of the year, but the last price I paid was about $33 a jug .... as in $33 for the 2.5 gallons. That's a pretty good price, IMO!

PS: Just got on the Academy web site - its now up to $39.99 for the 2.5 gallon jug. Still not bad, though.

boater1234

I like the full synthetic as it is biodegradable so better for the enviorment and doesn't leave any carbon deposits.Plus it barely smokes if at all and according to many studies synthetic oil lubricates way better.Right now i'm breaking in a 15hp 2stroke merc with double oil in a 3gallon gas tank which is 16ounces at double oil and 8ounces at reg oil.The motor has some left over gas mixed with supertech walmart oil which i have used for many yrs and think it's high quality oil by the way.What was left in the fuel filter smoked like a bandit,as soon as the new synthetic oil was fully in the fuel filter which i could see it almost completely stopped smoking,that was at double oil so i would imagine at the reg oil dosage it probally won't smoke a bit.I reved it up to in neutral with the old stuff and man you thought a cloud came down from the sky and man it stunk then when the synthetic oil ran through for a few minutes i reved it again and smoke barely came out,when i say barely i mean it was almost non exsistent.

If worse comes to worse if i run out of pennzoil west marine makes their own line of tcw3 synthetic oil which i heard is very good.Also there is amsoil.I go to every walmart i can find to buy some so i figure if i can get my hands on like 50 total bottles i may be set for a long time.Even if i sell this 2stroke i can still buy a 25hp etec and use this oil in it as it is good for direct injected motors also.Plus i found a brand new 25hp merc sea pro which is a older tohatsu[old school carb model]that i really like online and it needs the tcw3 oil also.

I have ran semi synthetic and from what i hear there is only like 10%synthetic oil and 90%mineral oil so there is very little advantage to it for the price imo.Now that is what i heard so it may be wrong but anyhow if i'm going to pay a pretty penny for any oil and i want to lube my investment the best possible then i will go full synthetic all the way.Amsoil is awesome stuff to.If i could find it i would buy royal purple tcw3 oil as i really like their products a ton to.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I thought I read somewhere on these Iboat post that OB's should be broken in using regular petroleum 2 cycle oil ... then switch to synthetic later. But I would rather switch than fight on this .... LOL

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer

Synthetic or not, 20 or 30 a gallon, still seems to be a small part of the price of boating. Lets say a mix ratio of 50:1. That means 50 gallons of gas at 3.50ish... is $175. Lets look at that as the price of mixed gas. $175 for 50 gal of plain gas. Let's say the oil is $50 a gal. That's $4.41 a gal. Now drop the oil price to $30 a gal. That makes it $4.02 a gal. So you use 100 gallons a year. That is $39 a year. Now lets go to $20 a gal for the oil. Lets face it, that's as cheap as we can imagine for a year or more from now. $3.90 a gal. Same 100 gal a year means $51 a year.

So what I'm asking is: Are you burning more than 100 gal a year? Will you even notice $50 a year?
I never come close to burning this much fuel, but consider 2 stroke oil to be a minimal cost. Are you guys really putting that much fuel through your motors?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Wifisher, 100 gal of fuel goes pretty quick if you have a 150HP or larger OB. That would be 3 or 4 fishing trips for me, I have a single screw. I think you will find lots of folks who burn 400-500 gal/year or more.

SparkieBoat

Captain

Yes, I think that 20 gal will last you many years. Let's see, you can make 1000 gal mixed fuel, and at 1.5 gal per hour max fuel usage in that motor, you will get 666 hours of usage, and at 4 hours of running per fishing trip, that is about 166 fishing trips. if you do 10 trips a year (1 per weekend), you have 16 years worth of oil.

I wish 20 galons would last me 16 years..I will go through 20 gallons in 1 year..I use the cheapest oil I can find..usually Pennzoil on sale at bass pro for $10 a gallon..

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I thought I read somewhere on these Iboat post that OB's should be broken in using regular petroleum 2 cycle oil ... then switch to synthetic later. But I would rather switch than fight on this .... LOL

Depends on the motor. ETECs have no break-in period at all. The advice to break an engine in (any engine) on non-synthetic oils became popular when synthetics first hit the market. At the time, Mobil One and Amsoil were a couple of the few available. The general point was that the synthetics were so good, that the rings would never seat, etc.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Synthetic or not, 20 or 30 a gallon, still seems to be a small part of the price of boating. Lets say a mix ratio of 50:1. That means 50 gallons of gas at 3.50ish... is $175. Lets look at that as the price of mixed gas. $175 for 50 gal of plain gas. Let's say the oil is $50 a gal. That's $4.41 a gal. Now drop the oil price to $30 a gal. That makes it $4.02 a gal. So you use 100 gallons a year. That is $39 a year. Now lets go to $20 a gal for the oil. Lets face it, that's as cheap as we can imagine for a year or more from now. $3.90 a gal. Same 100 gal a year means $51 a year.

So what I'm asking is: Are you burning more than 100 gal a year? Will you even notice $50 a year?
I never come close to burning this much fuel, but consider 2 stroke oil to be a minimal cost. Are you guys really putting that much fuel through your motors?
I buy Evinrude XD50 in case lots @ $143 delivered to the house. Last year I went thru almost 6 cases (36 gallons) of 2 stroke oil and almost 1800 gallons of fuel. Some wouldn't consider $850 a year in 2 stroke oil a minimal cost. When this motor goes I'm dumping the 2 stroke and going with a 4 stroke.

SparkieBoat

Captain

Is the XD50 oil worth that much..that is almost $25 a gallon..a little on the high side. I have never seen any of my engines have a issue because of cheap oil that I know of. I have never blown and engine. A friend of mine run one hot once because his over heat alarm was not working. But I do not even know anyone who has had any engine damage from cheaper oil. with taxes you can get 36 gallons for around $400, if you catch it on sale at Bass Pro

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Is the XD50 oil worth that much..that is almost $25 a gallon..a little on the high side. I have never seen any of my engines have a issue because of cheap oil that I know of. I have never blown and engine. A friend of mine run one hot once because his over heat alarm was not working. But I do not even know anyone who has had any engine damage from cheaper oil. with taxes you can get 36 gallons for around $400, if you catch it on sale at Bass Pro

BPS had Pennzoil XLT , whatever that is, on sale a couple of weeks ago for $17.00 a gallon, limit 6 per customer.

That's $102 right there. It's 30 miles each way to BPS so I'm looking at another $15 (14 mpg x $3.60 a gallon) in gas to get there and back. Add another $6.12 in taxes and we?re up to $123.12 to buy ?cheap? oil locally. This doesn't include the 1.5 hours of my time to drive over there and back so add another $40 to cover my time and we're up to $163.12 for 6 gallons of "cheap" oil at BPS.

On top of that, XD has carbon guard in it. Add another $45 in Ring Free cost to that case?
$143 delivered to house is looking better and better all the time. ;);)

SparkieBoat

Captain

BPS had Pennzoil XLT , whatever that is, on sale a couple of weeks ago for $17.00 a gallon, limit 6 per customer.

That's $102 right there. It's 30 miles each way to BPS so I'm looking at another $15 (14 mpg x $3.60 a gallon) in gas to get there and back. Add another $6.12 in taxes and we?re up to $123.12 to buy ?cheap? oil locally. This doesn't include the 1.5 hours of my time to drive over there and back so add another $40 to cover my time and we're up to $163.12 for 6 gallons of "cheap" oil at BPS.

On top of that, XD has carbon guard in it. Add another $45 in Ring Free cost to that case?
$143 delivered to house is looking better and better all the time. ;);)

so the XD is the same as adding ring free??? that does make a difference if so....where do you order from?? I found this place..not sure of their reputation though http://www.domo-online.com/product/764354-6 this place comes out to 135.41 for 6 gallons including shipping..no tax outside of FL

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I may be up in Philly next week or the week after. If I'm in the area I'll stop by and see if the price is for real. I don't use the stuff but have a good friend that does.

ralphl

Petty Officer 1st Class

what is so good about this 100% synthetic penzoil?. They have a bunch of it on the shelves here.?? Is it a very good 2 stroke oil or does it have 4 stroke applications as well??

boater1234

Many people think synthetic oil is a waste and does nothing different then convetional oil.Well who knows the hard facts as this oil war will never end.I would say it's 50/50 for both.The reason i use synthetic is from tests they have done it just seems to lubricate better.Plus you don't need to decarbon your engine when using it,so thats the scoop on that.Also i like pennzoil full synthetic for the price $27 a gallon and it's biodegradable.Also if little to no smoke is visible.I have used it for a long time with great results,as far as the semi synthetic i think it's a waste of money.Here is why.From what i have heard there is not very much synthetic oil in it,from what i have heard it's like only 10 to 20% and the rest conventional which is not bad but to me for like 8$ a gallon more i will go the whole full synthetic.The semi is not biodegradable and smokes badly.It will do a fine job just like the $11 super tech walmart oil that i have used forever before i went to this oil,but i just got sick of clouds of smoke and if it is biodegradable every little bit helps the economy be cleaner,also it idles way better and has never fouled out a plug.All the oil is really good it's just a personal perference i guess.If i buy a 4stroke outboard that i have been thinking about i will also use full synthetic oil for breakin and to run it after,my oil for that will be amsoil or royal purple.