is this possible

popsmazz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
bought this old boat last week 13 ft 6 inches, the registration says 1921 sea king, is this possible? it"s aluminum with a covered bow, did they make aluminum boats back then?

etracer68

Ensign
Re: is this possible

Not sure about 1921, but I think the military made the PT boats out of aluminum, in the 40s.

Mi duckdown

Commander

Confused. No boats where made of Aluminum in 1921???. you don't mean to tell me that you Don't know, if it is Aluminum.
By the way PT boats where 70 foot long.?? I think.?? Made of wood .
Got Pics of your boat?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

even if they HAD made them then.... it would be 90 years old.... it would have to have been in a museum to not be oxidized into powder by now

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

The Patrol Torpedo boats(PT) were made of plywood, they were experimenting with other materials at the end of the war, but as far as I know, none of the experimental boats made it into service.

Mi duckdown

Commander

Got to get Back on track for papsmazz1

I] bought this old boat last week 13 ft 6 inches, the registration says 1921 sea king, is this possible? it"s aluminum with a covered bow, did they make aluminum boats back then?

Got pics of boat paps?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

They were making aluminum bodied cars in the 20's so I would say it is possible...

But I would add, that it probably was not a high production model, and it may have been "guessed" as a Sea King for registration purposes, Sea King is a Montgomery Wards brand of boat, I have a fiberglass Sea King, and it specifically states Made for Montgomery Wards..

You might do some searching on google and see if you can find some copies of the old Montgomery Wards Catalogs, back in those days, they and Sear's sold just about anything you could think of...

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... My guess is it's smeared numbers, 'n it's really a 1971...

lonnie t

Seaman

this is the only thing i can find on google so far , close enough it floats

The first aluminum canoe was created in 1945 after William Hoffman spent a day fishing. He was exhausted after dragging his wooden canoe to and from the lake. He thought about how much lighter the canoe might be if it was made of aluminum, so he took his idea to Leroy Grumman, who helped him make history. Hoffman and Grumman were both executives at Grumman Aircraft Engineering. Soon they were the first company ever to manufacture aluminum boats. Today, most aluminum boats feature motors and are commonly used by bass fishermen.Recreational boats are typically made of aluminum or fiberglass. Aluminum is a very sturdy material that is non-flammable. Fiberglass is a highly flammable material, although fiberglass boats are typically coated with a fire-retardant resin. Aluminum contains no flammable materials and needs no resin to keep it from catching fire, thus aluminum boats are great options for recreational bass fishers and outdoor enthusiasts.An aluminum boat is also easy to customize and repair. Fiberglass or steel boats might rupture when they collide with another object, but an aluminum boat usually just dents. These dents can easily be flattened out with a hammer or by a professional. The flexibility of aluminum also makes it easy to make changes to your boat, whether you're changing the design of the boat or expanding the cabin. It's also easy to retrofit your aluminum boat when new boating regulations are adopted.Since most aluminum models are full-sized boats with motors, they are ideal for bass fishing. A small aluminum boat is the perfect first boat for young people interested in fishing. Aluminum is lightweight, so youngsters can help load the boat into and out of the water.

etracer68

Ensign

Sorry, guess I was wrong on the PT boats. I do know that Montgomery Wards made a 12 Footer in aluminum though. I purchased one from my neighbor on a trailer for $200 about 10 years ago and gave it to my son-in-law, so he could take my grandsons fishing. They live were theres a small lake 2 miles from there house. Now of course kids are bigger, and he uses mine all the time.