some glassy cold water

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: some glassy cold water

Of course its glass, its call ice!

gone out in colder, there were large ice chunks floating! They have drysuits on, and probably well dressed under them.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

uh guys...I think that's Willard Bay on the Great Salt Lake in Utah....I don't think that lake EVER freezes so it may be colder then you think. If I remember correctly the salinity of the lake has prevented it from freezing (as a whole)in recorded history.

I know there are certain inlets where the water is mostly fresh and it does freeze, also the average depth is something like 15 feet for the whole lake so that may play into it as well

metalwizard

Chief Petty Officer

If it is the Great salt Lake you are right I used to live on the mountain and could see it from my front yard. It never truley freezes.

YOu are also right about it being shallow. there are places you can WALK all the way accross it and never get in over your head (if you are semi tall)

The salt content is HIGHER than the ocean..

foodfisher

Captain

Another little tidbit. You can't walk in over your head. You just float.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

ok so I wonder....isn't salt water heavier then fresh water? does that mean you get more bite on a slalom too?

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Willard can freeze, the Great Salt Lake doesn't. It doesn't stay cold enough long enough for Willard to ice up very thick. The Great Salt Lake salinity levels have dropped in recent years so yes people still float but not like they used to.