1990 J3BRESR Evinrude 3.0hp Outboard - Not shifting

I picked up a Jon boat with a 3.0hp Evinrude J3BRESR outboard on it. The engine has seen better days, however I did give it a few pulls and it showed signs of life and I was not able to disengage the drive to put the engine into neutral. I could hear an audible click when trying to move the shift lever, so I removed the lower unit.

Upon removing the lower unit I see just a bare shaft with a somewhat pointed end to it that attaches to the gear shifter (27). I am having the darndest time figuring out how this is supposed to operate.

So my questions are:

1) Can someone explain how the shift lever is intended to operate on this? Does it use the "clutch spring" to disengage the prop on the ring gear side?

2) According to the diagrams I have found there is an O-ring (8) and a bushing (10). They were not on the end of the rod as I removed the lower unit, so I'm assuming they are installed/pressed into place. (I need to clean things up to see in there well enough. I am assuming they are required for the shift lever to function?

3)Is there a reverse on this engine? It seems there are only two potential detents in the shift lever. Stupid question I know, but I figured since the engine is self contained and rotates 360*, thats possible.

47244.gif

Thank you!

raczekp1

Lieutenant
Re: 1990 J3BRESR Evinrude 3.0hp Outboard - Not shifting

1.shift lever works in this way:
a)neutral: on the shift rod is flat ending, and this is hooked by spring no 26(there is smal flat end also)
b)forward: you move shift leaver forward cousing shift rod moves up, realsing spring no 26

2.this bushing and oring is hidden in gearcase, to see this you have to take apart gearcase and look in siide gearcase housing

3.there is only forward and neutral.
turning 360 degrese you wiil get reverse motion

Sometimes when you take of lower unit from midsection and puting back all things its dificult to match shift rod in smal hole located inside lower unit.

i did this when first time i changed impeler.i didnt fit shift rod in hole and later on there was only forward without neutral and lower unit oil float out from gercase threw this hole

Re: 1990 J3BRESR Evinrude 3.0hp Outboard - Not shifting

Awesome, thank you. I am assuming that is what happened prior to me buying it. Someone took it apart and the linkage didn't end up in the bushing to the spring.

Ordering a water pump kit and will be reassembling soon!