Alpha 1 tilt/trim won't go down.

gbarrett

Cadet
I just acquired a boat with the 5.0 Alpha one series drive. The problem is that the drive will go up without a problem, but it won't go down without someone standing on the drive while the tilt/trim switch is pushed to the down position. The pump is trying at least to make it happen, but nothing moves unless someone is standing on the drive.

Since I'm relatively new to this drive series, where do I start looking? I have the manual, but I would guess I'm not the first one to have this problem.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Alpha 1 tilt/trim won't go down.

Since I'm relatively new to this drive series, where do I start looking?

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...
Look for corrosion around the ram's endcaps, binding on the shafts...
'n make sure that the pivot points are greased, 'n not binding...

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Alpha 1 tilt/trim won't go down.

Standard problem. The endcaps corrode (as Bond said). The pump produces 3000psi to lift the drive (extend the rams), but only about 1700psi to lower it (retract the rams). When the endcap corrodes it 'swells' and grabs the piston rod. A lot of folk just remove the cap, give it a clean and put it back on. Last about a year, maybe. I always just replace the cap.

When I've finished the day's boating and I have the boat back in the shed, I just put a drop of ATF into the open end of the endcap... Stops the corrosion from even starting...

Chris......