Trying to Start but...!

lookupsayaw

Banned
Okay so im trying to start my outboard. It is a 1964 johnson 75 hp V4. I replaced fuel lines cleaned the carburetor. I also put in a new battery, battery cables and new spark plugs. It will crank over just fine but will not fire.Here's my questions:
How do I prime the carburetor?-I squeezed the bulb and you can see fuel in the in-line fuel filter that I put in.
How do I know if im getting spark?-Is there a test I could do without any special tool?

How would I go get this engine running?CIMG0085.jpgCIMG0086.jpg

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trying to Start but...!

You will need an open air gap spark tester. These are extremely cheap tools, like 5 bucks, but are needed in the boaters toolbox. Set the gap to 7/16", and crank the engine. The spark should jump the gap with a bright blue ZAP!!. Continue with remaining cylinders. If it is not sparking on a cylinder(s), let us know and we can go from there.

There is a good thread in the FAQ entitled "Outboard Wont Start" Follow the steps provided and let us know what you find.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The old spec used to be 1/4" open air gap, but I've see some of those old magnetos jump the 7/16" air gap.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Without a timing light or spark tested about all you can do is stick you pinky in the spark plug boot and have someone crank it (just kidding don't do that). The spark tester is the cheapest most valuable tool.