Lower Vertical Shaft Removal Problem- Volvo Penta 280 (w/Pics)

BigBobsBigBobbingBogBoat

Seaman Apprentice
Hey Guys,

I'm refurbing an old volvo penta 280 outdrive. A major issue was that the lower vertical shaft has been sheered off clean very close to where it's enclosed within the lower unit housing. (See upside-down pic below!). (I've taken picks of it from the top and bottom)

I've pulled the prop shaft and removed the nut, but that old vertical shaft is really stuck to that gear, and since I don't have much to grab on the top to pull with (since it's sheared off) I'm stuck.

Any thoughts to get the thing out?

Attachments

• IMG_1533[1].jpg
    IMG_1533[1].jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1531[1].jpg
    IMG_1531[1].jpg
    143 KB · Views: 1

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Lower Vertical Shaft Removal Problem- Volvo Penta 280 (w/Pics)

Put the propshaft gear and carrier back in the lower unit (leave nut off vertical shaft) then, use the prop shaft to hold the vertical shaft while you remove the nut from the vertical shaft. Use a pipe wrench or a hammer and dull chisel to remove the round nut.
Then, you have to use the special tool to pull the shaft out of the pinion gear. Since it's been many years since I did one of those, I may be a bit vague on the details. I remember using something between the large OD of the tool and the outdrive housing to prevent damage to the housing. Don't remember exactly anymore. Sorry.

BigBobsBigBobbingBogBoat

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks again Don! I'll try that. Should be another weekend or so.

pzat061679

Recruit

So I seem to have the same problem I just kinda need more details on how it was done I have a new shaft coming it should be here in a couple days can some one help

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to iboat pzat, you need to start a new thread with your question instead of jumping onto someone elses old (2 years) thread. You will get a lot more replies.