props stuck???

stugots

Seaman Apprentice
ok guys I need a little help/advice here, I have an 88 wellcraft monte carlo, with the alpha one outdrives, last year i put the boat away for the winter, a marina winterized it, when I put it away I noticed one prop spun freely and the other was a little hard to move, I go to start setting her all up and now i notice BOTH are solid as a rock, I cant budge them.

what can cause this? and what does it sound like is the issue? and most important, how much will it cost to repair?

Thanks for all the help guys

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: props stuck???

check the drive oil level and condition , sounds like water in the drive rusted it up.

stugots

Seaman Apprentice

if it is rusted whats the game plan for that?

stugots

Seaman Apprentice

is there any other possibility of what could have happend here?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

untill you check the oil or whatever is in there and report back, no.

stugots

Seaman Apprentice

ok, im very new to this, where would I check the oil for the out drive? tilt oil right?

matthew colgate

Seaman Apprentice

Your drive unit should have a vent screw hole to check drive oil towards the top ......... And your oil drain and fill plug will be on the bottom of unit behind prop that is if its like mine .....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You will probably need an impact screwdriver to remove the screws.
Here is a link where you can download the OEM service manual for free.
Sounds like you are going to need it. http://www.4shared.com/document/zz_5pj9o/Service_Manual_06.html

attachment.php

Attachments

• fill vent.jpg
    fill vent.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 0

stugots

Seaman Apprentice

ok, oil looks good, got the trim to move after some playing (just clicked at first) now it moves freely, still wont budge tho, block of wood and a wack with a hammer a bad idea?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

referring to Dons post above, the "drive oil" looks good ????
Trim has nothing to do with the props

Don S

ok, oil looks good, got the trim to move after some playing (just clicked at first) now it moves freely, still wont budge tho, block of wood and a wack with a hammer a bad idea?

I am now wondering if you are calling the complete outdrive a prop and that it won't turn with the steering wheel.

attachment.php

Attachments

• prop turning.jpg
    prop turning.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 0

stugots

Seaman Apprentice

no the steering works fine, i can move both units in both directions using the steering wheel, the trim movies on both as well (both directions) its just the propellers wont spin.

will I damage something if I use a block of wood and tap it with a hammer to try and force it to spin?

Don S

Take the props off and see if the shaft will turn.

stugots

Seaman Apprentice

is it possible that shes stuck in gear? how would I tell if it was?

Bondo

Staff member

is it possible that shes stuck in gear? how would I tell if it was?

Ayuh,... If it were stuck in gear, it would Lock up 1 way, 'n ratchet back in the other direction...

SeanMcl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Stugots,

No tech advice here, but I'd put in a word none the less: When Don or Bondo are asking you to do things, they are walking you through a specific sequence of Q's and A's. Jumping ahead won't help. Just let them walk you through the steps. It will be much cheaper, and faster to boot. These guys can and will get you to the actual issue.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Please do the checks and report results in the order that we ask.
This pic with the blue line shows all the parts moving with the engine running, the prop shaft does not turn untill the shift slider contacts either the fwd or rev gear.so you should be able to turn the prop shaft in either direction freely. If you happened to be in gear, it will lock in one direction and ratchet in the opposite direction.

Attachments

• MC1.jpg
    MC1.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 1