Please Help... 40 HP Johnson shutting down

bouncr2

Recruit
Any help would be appreciated. I have a 1990 40HP Johnson Outboard, last summer I was on Lake George for a 7 day fishing trip when I started experiencing trouble. My engine would shut down while running on plane. It would not do it idling and it would be intermittent. I would run for 3, 4, 5 minutes or maybe 10 or more and would suddenly shut down. It would then start back up immediately, then sometimes do it again and again, but sometimes not do it. Some days it wouldnt do it and some days it would. I talked to a Johnson mechanic up there and he said it sounds like a power pak but would have to trouble shoot it, but never did because he was 2 weeks backlogged with work. I came home and my mechanic which is very good with Johnson outboards told me my piston was seizing and causing the engine to shut down, he confirmed this by checking the compression. Could the power pak be causing a loss in compression in one cyclinder, I dont think myself that the engine (piston) is seizing or why would it start back up after doing this on the lake and then maybe not do it some days. Wouldnt if there was a problem with a piston it do this ebery time it heated up. Thanks for the input