What type of wake will...

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer
I just realized that there were a lot of posts to my last question Re: 85 HP enough. What I'm wondering now is what type of wake & will it be good enough for fun, beginner wake boarding? I'm referring to my boat, a 1985 1700 Bayliner bowrider, It's off season now & I'm thinking about the wake I was giving off last year. Granted the boy's biggest challenge will be just getting up & staying up, but I think he'll take to it very quickly. What are you thought's as "Wake Boarders" on my older boat & motor package? BTW: Don't know if it will make that much of a difference, but I currently have a hydro-foil "large" finn on the lower unit of the out board & was thinking of Trim Tab's instead. What will be better? Tanx, MAXX

bakerderek0

Cadet
Re: What type of wake will...

last year was my first season pulling wakeboarders & wakeboarding myself. I have a 1994 Baja 170 with 125 merc OB. Being a beginner, I thought my wake was just fine and very intimidating. I fell quite a few times when trying to ride up the wake. We were pulling from the ski hooks, but this year I'm putting a tower on.

As far as the whale tail, I couldn't tell you. I've been told to stay away from them

Have fun :D

bigpoppakdog

Chief Petty Officer

Well looking at some picts of your boat style, you should have fun. Typical style boat that will create a wake, but if you look at those videos on the internet where they are doing some high flying $#@!, I don't believe your boat will create that type of wake. Your boat looks similar to mine. Will it make a wake big enough to get air? Sure, no doubt. Just not big enough to shoot you in the air like you see in the vids. Then again, there is no chance for me to do those tricks at my age :(

2ndtry

Petty Officer 1st Class

The trim tabs will not help, and they might hurt. For the best wake you will be towing at less than planing speed, likely between 17-23 mph. This is where most boats throw a decent wake and the most boarders feel comfortable. The tabs (and possibly the whale tail), may make your boat plane at these speed and the wake will suffer.

I would try a few times with the tail and then take it off and see the difference. If you do add tabs you will want the adjustable ones so you can leave them up when boarding. The "smart" tabs will need to be de-activated (pulled up) when boarding for the best wake.

I would not worry about the size of your wake just yet, I think it will be fine for beginner/intermediate riders.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Smaller outboards or sterndrives work fine for wakeboarding. The foil will help get the boat up to speed so you don't drag the boarder too much. When they start have them get used to their edges with slides and turns inside the wake at slow speeds. As they get comfortable increase the speed to what 2ndtry suggested. To make a bigger wake you just add weight to the boat which means that foil will be more useful. In shaping the wake you normally want to get up to speed then trim up about 25% with most of your passenger weight in the bow. (for a boat like yours)
The trick is to not have white froth on the lip of the wake where the boarders are crossing the wake. Weight in the bow moves the froth further back but makes the wake less steep. Weight in the stern makes the wake steeper but moves the froth toward the boat. Trimming up adds effective weight in the stern. Finding the rope length and setup that lets you drive a steady speed with a clean wake takes some time.
I would not add tabs in your application.

Rellik546

Petty Officer 1st Class

have a multi section rope. you can put the line way out where the wake doesnt peak as much so it isnt as scary to hit the wake, and also you can learn single wake jumps...jumping off one wake and landing before the second wave comes....as they get better, pull the line in maybe 55 60 feet. the wake is narrow here and more steep. it will be easier to clear then further out so you can learn wake to wake jumps. as they get better add more line until you reach the best peak of the wake. often right before the wake rolls over or appears white at its top. moving people around the boat will also make a difference...it all depends on ur setup. i have a 1988 17' wellcraft classic with a 3.0. i ride with a full boat and it pulls me right out of the water. i like it when more people sit in the back as this gives a better wake...my old boat worked better with more people in the bow. instead of 2 people layin in the bow, i had 5 sitting up there.

hope this helps.

also

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the advise guy's, I guess it will just be a trial & error thing. Try to figure out what my set up will do & go from there. What is a basic rope length? I think the package deal I got him (my son), came with board, boots, rope & net carry bag. Not sure how long that rope is.

bowler

Petty Officer 1st Class

The wake will be fine. As for rope length, I'd say the best move is to feed it out at the stern and tie it where the length matches the crispest part of the wake, i.e no wash. This is eventually where you will want it when going for wake to wake jumps so why not start there. I never change rope length for first timers - why prolong the inevitable!

D.