85 Bayliner Capri CC 16 ft

CTS 10/63

Cadet
I have a 16 ft. Bayliner Capri Cuddy Cabin that I am restoring. I have removed the back-to-back seats and want to replace them with 4 pedestal seats. The original seats were glassed to the deck and hull. If I replace with the seats will I lose the structural integrity of the Hull?

CTS

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 85 Bayliner Capri CC 16 ft

No. If the deck is solid you should be okay. Many people do laminate (fiberglass) a 3/4"" platform to mount the pedestals on. 1985 eh.... how are the stringer's and transom?

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Too cool a Bayliner thread. You should be alright with pedestals. I would recommend the 3/4 platform to as the original Bayliner floor is quite thin. Mine was rotten to the core and had to redone front to back. Post up some pics I love these boats.

CTS 10/63

Cadet

Transom and stringers are shot. I have everything taken out and will do the transom next. It is a 3 piece transom, I will be using plywood. I thought the floor was 5/8. You recommend 3/4?

Thanks,

CTS

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

No we recommend a 3/4" plate over the regular deck to make it stronger for the pedestals. Pedestals create more stress then a conventional back to back seat.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

This is NOT the greates of Pics but you can SEE the build up of the plywood before mounting the pedestals. i recommend toggle bolting and epoxying the platforms to the deck and using T-nuts in the platforms so you can Bolt the pedestals to them.
attachment.php