Transom & Stringers

local825

Seaman
I have a general question? If the transome is shot does why does that have to mean the stringers are no good also? Isn't the main purpose of the transom to suport the engine and the stringers to suport the decking ?

local825

Seaman
Re: Trasom & Stringers

Transom & Stringers ( spelling error oops)

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer

I dont think anyone is saying that one means the other. I think it's just general physics. If the transom is bad, the water had to sit somewhere to facilitate the rot process. The stringers are the absolute lowest point on the boat that is susceptible to rot, so unless you had the boat standing completely vertical with the bow sticking straight up in the air, the stringers would have been exposed to potential rot long before the transom was. So therefore, if the transom is rotten, it is logical to assume the stringers and possibly the decking have been rotten for a longer period of time.

tschmidty

Chief Petty Officer

Well I'd agree with the general point, but not the physics so much. Stringers tend to rot from the top down where it is secured to the deck from what I have seen and the transom rots from around the big hole cut in it for the outdrive. I think the principle is that if not enough care was taken on one spot to prevent rot it probably wasn't taken on the other.

infideltarget

Either works for me. Either way one doesnt mean the other, just that if one is rotten, the other is more likely to be also. The whole of my experience with rotten transoms (2...only one was mine, and it was my first project boat) have both been rotten from the bottom, due to water, leaves, beer cans, etc left to collect in an uncovered boat.

local825

Seaman

Almost makes sence, but my experiance has tought me that everytime i leave the warter i should place my boat's pitched with the front elevated so the warter will run out of the ( Bilge area the area at the lowest point of some boats, the boat in the picture looks kind of level is the drain plug underneath?

local825

Seaman

Makes sense, The easiest thing to do Cover up a boat..............

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

While it is true the stringers support the deck, that is merely a place to secure the deck. the stringers and keel form the backbone of the boat and transom is tied into them at the stern of the boat. If one is bad, the joint where they meet are also very likely bad. The transom needs to be strong because that's what the engine pushes against. Again, if the joint with the keel, stringers, and sides of the boat are rotten at the joining points you could end up with an engine inside the boat -- or hanging off the steering, throttle and shift cables. These are structural components.

infideltarget

Almost makes sence, but my experiance has tought me that everytime i leave the warter i should place my boat's pitched with the front elevated so the warter will run out of the ( Bilge area the area at the lowest point of some boats, the boat in the picture looks kind of level is the drain plug underneath?

You talking about my sig? If so, no...it's not level at all. If you look at the tree line in the background, you can see it is bow up by about 6-8 inches beyond what the trailer jack will do, to the point that the prop is almost touching the ground. And the drain is at the transom...which you are correct in saying is the lowest point...and the plug is out. It is also covered at this time.

jonesg

Admiral

Rot is a micro-organism, it grows and spreads not matter where or why it starts.

infideltarget

Rot is a micro-organism, it grows and spreads not matter where or why it starts.

+1

and it is bad, bad, bad regardless

one thing though...not trying to start a debate, but it was mentioned that stringers rot from the top down. while if the rot starts on the deck that may be true, I just read two different restoration threads that the rot started at the bottom of the stringers and ate upwards and into the transom due to poor factory glasswork on the stringers themselves. just sayin.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

rot can occur anywhere moisture (fresh water) contacts wood. There are a million ways that can happen, and the cause can range from neglect to defect. Some boats, by design, have greater risk by greater opportunity for water to accumulate, and not drain. Even a small undrained pocket in an otherwise well maintained boat can get it, as can a small opening, such as at a motor bracket where the seal has failed. It can occur in the wood backing to a dashboard, which is important b/c it supports the steering wheel.

I believe that no cover is perfect, so I believe draining is most important--that means the plug out on the trailer, pump working while moored. The cover and how it's parked is second and third. I have never understood how a boat could hold water on a trailer, when draining it is as basic as tying it to the pier when it's moored.

jonesg

Admiral

+1

and it is bad, bad, bad regardless

one thing though...not trying to start a debate, but it was mentioned that stringers rot from the top down. while if the rot starts on the deck that may be true, I just read two different restoration threads that the rot started at the bottom of the stringers and ate upwards and into the transom due to poor factory glasswork on the stringers themselves. just sayin.

True, plenty of boats have good decks but the stringers are gonzo, if left long enough the deck will shows signs of rot and thats when most owners start to fix "this little soft spot". Next thing they are replacing the stringers , foam, transom and deck.

The vast majority of resto threads start with " how do I fix this soft spot in the deck".

My deck is all glass, no wood.
You shoulda seen the wooden mess beneath it though.