motor hooks for lifting the motor with a chain ?

tbrownarcher

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 150 hp mercury xrw (black max) 1988 i think. I need to lift the motor off the boat (outboard) . Does anyone know where there would be a hook on the engine or a way of attaching the chain to the motor to lift it straight up.?

thanks,
Nate

tbrownarcher

Seaman Apprentice
Re: motor hooks for lifting the motor with a chain ?

Gomer:

I have seen that ... doesn't it screw onto the end of the crank shaft somehow ???? That seems to be a bad spot to me .... Don't you remove the nut on the flywheel and replace it with that ? I'm not understanding .. is that a strong enough area so as not to harm the engine ???

thanks,
Nate

Gomer50

Chief Petty Officer

These screw into the flywheel and they do support the complete engine ( No Damage).
Believe me its not going anywhere.Do not remove the nut that holds the flywheel down.

Hubboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I bought that exact same lifting ring, it is very nicely made and secure. Mine came with a fine-thread bolt to thread into the threaded bushing to pull the flywheel off.

DSCN1292.jpg

j_martin

Admiral

Gomer:

I have seen that ... doesn't it screw onto the end of the crank shaft somehow ???? That seems to be a bad spot to me .... Don't you remove the nut on the flywheel and replace it with that ? I'm not understanding .. is that a strong enough area so as not to harm the engine ???

thanks,
Nate

THAT is the way the engineers designed to lift this engine. It is the safest most secure way to get the job done. Anything else has severe risks of damage or injury.

1979checkmate

Petty Officer 1st Class

no, you do not remove the flywheel bolt to lift the motor, that would be considered a bad idea! haha :). to lift the motor you simply screw in the tool, then the eye bolt, hook it up to a hoist and lift. NOW, the same tool CAN be used to remove the flywheel for stuff like replacing the stator or trigger. in this case you do take the flywheel nut off, and the same tool acts as a puller.