Junk, Garbage, Blows up because it can----

piperdriver

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My neighbor has a boat with a 1974 Merc. 650. I am talking to him about buying the boat. He doesn't want much because he says that the motor is "junk". After talking with him he is just parroting what a couple mechanics are telling him. Last time the boat was out he states that it began making a rattling noise, he went immediately to idle and after just a miniute or two it locked up. On the advise of the two mechanics he spoke with, he bought another rig. They told him that that perticular year and HP motor will "blow up for no reason." Any seasoned folks out there that can give me an in to if that motor is worth messing with or not? It is currently locked up, and I have not had a chance to look at it. He says that nothing is hanging out the block.
Thanks,
Steve

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Junk, Garbage, Blows up because it can----

If it were junk what has it been doing for near 40 years?

Some bogus marine techs will call any outboard junk if they don't want to, or don't know how to, work on it. That or they will quote a full rebuild for three times the worth of the outboard.

You get used to that if you mess with mature outboards a lot.

I can't tell you if it is or isn't worth fixing because I don't know:
1. How much joy you get out of fixing stuff.
2. Why did it lock up?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The police say why did this guy die. The person doing the autopsy will generally say "won't know until I get him/her opened up". Locked up engines don't fix themselves especially if they had a death rattle before going belly up. Pull the plugs and see what they look like. Plugs are like reading a book. Then using a pen light, look into the holes. What do you see? You can try to get it freed up but that proves nothing as the cylinder walls and pistons are likely scored beyond repair. But you won't know any of this without investigating. You are negotiating on an unknown. If you decide to buy you had best know what you are getting into. My suggestion is the engine is worth scrap value. The boat is worth whatever you feel its worth after a thorough check for rotten stringers, floor, transom, etc. If any is found the boat is also worth scrap value.

Gomer50

Chief Petty Officer

I wont sugar coat this one.I will only speak from experience,I have in my yard 3 motors a 72 80hp and a 74 85hp and a 78 90hp that were close to the end of there life.I have torn them apart and honed the pistons out new pistons, gaskets, seals, wiring internal as well as external,distributor, switchbox,recitifiers and on and on.Boating experience on the water has been short.Most of these motor parts are hard to come by and costly.If you like tinkering in your garage by all means have at it.I do have to say once these Motors are running you cant beat em.With all the money spent and work I personally would invest in something that will put a smile on your face from the get go.
Also makes the Wife alot happier..

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer

Why would you mess with that old outboard when you can buy so many motors that are good on Craigslit...Just bought a 1996 40h.p long shaft for $1100 and it is mint...Also picked up a 1993 115h.p. for $1200 with no spark..Easy fix once I figure out which part has failed. Just two recent examples of later model motors...Picked up last month a 1991 Mariner 40h.p. long shaft for $700....Give Craigslist a look and be sure to do a compression check, spark check and running check before you purchase or you could be buying someone's junk...When I first got started buying motors years back, this happened to me... I learned quickly from this site and others as to what to look for...Good Luck...My 02.....

piperdriver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just to hit a few highlights. I do work on motors. I have no formal marine training. ALL and I mean all of my wrench turning has been on OMC. Johnson/Evinrude. I have not even so much and changed a plug on a Merc. The mechanics of the teardown/rebuild don't scare me at all. My biggest concern was the info that my neighbor was getting.
Thanks for all the replies, I have enough info now to make an informed decision.

Steve

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

If it was a 650 4 cylinder i would tell ya to let it alone but it being a 3 cylinder its fixable and a good little motor if set up and ran correctly. What kills these lil motors is water pumps, lugging and timing.