e'rude 2hp

jaybow

Seaman Apprentice
I have an old 1947? 2hp? single cylinder evinrude I know little or nothing about. It has ser.#4416-30100. need gas/oil mix, possible parts source, most any info would be appreciated. I am just starting to open it up for inspection, don't look too bad ....yet.

New to oldies & net. Thanks. jaybow:D

jaybow

Seaman Apprentice
Re: e'rude 2hp

Page two:: I'm into it. Topside lookin' remarkably good- except bottom freeze plug rusted away, I mean gone! Not insurmountable. Have the bottom half of leg seperated. Now how do I get the prop shaft and related gear out. Prop is off and I can see a seperation line but she ain't budgin'. N'other small prob, only three vanes on metal water
pump, no sign of the lost one!:mad:

still tryin' jaybow

WillemWallace

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Jaybow,
Not really qualified to answer the tech questions, but like you, I just found a 1974 4 HP Johnson for cheap money. It is in remarkable condition for its age. I went to one of the major used book stores online, and bought a repair manual used, for $10.00, and it is loaded with needed info to bring the motor up to snuff. I am pretty sure they have them for a motor your age also. Good Luck!

jaybow

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for answerin' , public library has some good stuff but usually don't go back far enough for the real oldies. Very limited funds, S.S. income. I'll look.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The prop shaft bearing housing is held in by a screw that comes down from above, inside the exhaust area.

I can help you with an illustrated parts book. Send me your e-mail address in a PM.

jaybow

Seaman Apprentice

Howdy F_R I don't kbow what a PM is so so I'll have to try this. Okay, if that bolt inside the exhaust is covered by a slotted cap which when removed exposes a slotted bolt I'm ready to go at daylight tomorrow. Sorry but I am so new to computers I surprise myself I can even do this much! I do have e mail , and an old computer.

bear with and I'll keep learnin'.

THANKS, jaybow:rolleyes:

jaybow

Seaman Apprentice

Okay. I suspected that cover nut and slot headed bolt had something to do with adjusting the prop shaft gears, but didn't snap to it HOLDING them in. Went back, removed both and after some prying, soaking and fussing got her apart. It was STUCK.Good gears. Now the water pump. Bottom half [eight vanes] is okay, but the top only has three of the four it should. Don't suppose that would work to cool well enough?How to remove broken one and where to get replacement? Is there a compatable old 'rude stem or drive shaft I might use? I have some just stems, without powerheads. I am finding lots of good info here, if I'll just dig a little.

Color me 'still learnin' jaybow