65 or 66 Merc 350 35 hp no spark, need prop

itsallen2004

Cadet
Hey guys, bought a boat with a 65 or 66 Merc 350 on it, 35 hp, electric and pull start. It hasn't been run in at least 10-15 years as a conservative estimate, but I can almost guarantee that it's never seen salt water. I had a few things I've got a question on.

Firstly: I put a battery in it, went to turn it over, and all I hear is the solenoid clicking. So I take the starter off the powerhead (You'd almost figure they'd make that a little easier to do). The starter is completely froze up, so I've ordered a new one. That wasn't much of a question....

Secondly: I pull it over by hand (with the key on) and not seeming to get spark. I'm going to check all the "handyman" wiring that was done to it by a previous owner and check it with a wiring diagram to make sure it's right. Assuming it is, what should I look into next?

Lastly: Anyone know where I could get a new or used prop for this outboard? I've searched and searched with no luck. Any help would be great, or if you have one kicking around, even better!

Thanks ahead of time for your replies. -Allen

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 65 or 66 Merc 350 35 hp no spark, need prop

Hi Allen,
Chances are the ignition needs a tune-up. Points and condensers are available. Unless the coils are visibly cracked or damaged, the are probably good. Check the kill circuit wiring, too, as you mentioned the PO had done some jimmy-rigging. Also, since you're spinning it over by hand anyway, unplug the wiring harness to test for spark - that'll eliminate the control box as a possible source of your issue. Your motor will run just fine with the plug undone.
Do you have a prop and need a better one or are you lacking a prop all together? If you have one, you might be able to get it rebuilt for about what it costs to buy another one of questionable usage... Or, you can at least get the prop size (pitch-diameter) from your existing prop to get a match.
- Scott

itsallen2004

Cadet
Re: 65 or 66 Merc 350 35 hp no spark, need prop

Thanks Chinewalker for the advise... I will try to turn it over by hand with the harness unplugged to rule out the chance of the control box being the problem. Haven't gotten back in to check the wiring yet. Hopefully tomorrow. With any luck it is just a wiring issue, as I have found a few things (non motor related) that were wired in a bad configuration. As far as the prop goes I have one, and i will look into repairing it because at this point it may be the easiest way to go about it. Thanks for your reply, and i'll keep posted with what i find.