can i use automotive starter??

Bondo

Staff member
Re: can i use automotive starter??

Ayuh,... Generally speakin'... No...

It's an Explosion thing with confined bilges, 'n gasoline motors....

jus10reese

Cadet

I see, thanks bondo, guess I'll have to shell out the extra dough..

wmschenck

Cadet

Spend the extra dough to keep your boat from exploding and killing your familiy, firends, and yourself! All it takes is a small gas leak in a very confined area, and one little spark. Just not worth it! Same reason the alternator and distributors have to be U.S. Coast Guard certified!

jus10reese

Cadet

well,I got the old starter off, wasnt too hard considering that it was completely under the engine, and almost unaccessible, but about 30 min by myself and she was off.. anyway the starter that was on it was an auto starter, guess I'm lucky it went out before i started using it this summer. So after hearing that I should use a marine starter, I found the correct one on ebay for 79.00, 15.00 shipping, so it wasnt too bad, the automotive one was like 50 bucks at the local Napa.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Dont know if the ebay starter is new or used but my advice is BUY NEW.It is a lot harder to put the starter on then it is to take it off.It is the kind of job you dont want to have to do twice let alone the expense.Charlie

captain zac

Petty Officer 1st Class

get a price from NAPA
Our NAPA stores have marine parts

pvmtsux

Petty Officer 3rd Class

get a price from NAPA
Our NAPA stores have marine parts

Some automotive stores have marine parts and they will give a discount if you bring in the old one.