Mounting electric trolling motor

purplesage

Seaman Apprentice
Has anyone tried mounting a bracket forward of the playpen for an electric trolling motor. Thought if it worked you could then use a stern mount motor with a shorter shaft - both of which are more affordable. If you use a remote control it could be low and out of the way.

My two concerns are - how stout would I need to make it and since it would be a bit off center would it steer the boat OK?

Looking for others expertise and experience.

ONERCBOATER

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mounting electric trolling motor

haven't tried it... dont see why it wouldnt work, keep in mind the further off center you go the harder it is to steer in one direction and the easier in the other. your description though might be better with at least a rudimentary picture so that we can easily visualize where you intend to put it. Myself I am putting two cheap ones with modification on the back of the pontoon boat... and going to use differential drive to steer via joystick or via radio control. My personal two cents is don't be afraid to try different things just think it out carefully 1st.

Sean

purplesage

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Sean - I was following your thread about using the two motors. Having owned several twin engine boats I think you will find your approach very successful as long as you are an experienced RC operator. Some one like me who hasn't had much experience might find it a little problematic.

Anyway, I will try to diagram what I was thinking about - or just build it and see if it works. Just thought if others had already done something like it I would benefit from their knowledge. Now I am on the lookout for a good deal on a motor. I have a 30# thrust version that I use on my drift boat but it obviously won't be enough to do the job. Since I just had to spend $1100 on a lower unit I am trying to find a less expensive way to do this one.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a very simple bracket made from a piece of 4x4x3/8 steel angle painted and bolted to a 8 inch long piece of 2x6. The angle is then bolted down through the deck of the boat about 1/3 of the way across the bow just enough off center to allow for loading and unloading the boat without having to take everything off.

This used to be my primary trolling motor mount, and is now a backup. I have used it on 3 pontoon boats now, with tiller style motors from 36 to 55 pounds. It is a very cheap simple way to get a trolling motor out on the bow of your pontoon. Be careful the bracket is a toe catcher. When it is on the boat I tend to leave the trolling motor on it so no one trips over it.

Off center has no noticeble impact, however too close to the tube will make the motor act weird and not perform like you want it to.

Minnkota makes a plate that screws into the 2x6 and is made to accept the pads from Minnkota transom mounts. I put one of these on last year and it keeps the motor much more stable when twisting and turning in the shallows throwing the net for bait.

tritoonproject037.jpg

Last edited:

purplesage

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks IMUSS, that is helpful input. My playpen wall extends right to the front edge of my deck but I think I can bolt whatever bracket I build to the underside of the deck or to the cross members and extend it out far enough to accomplish the same thing. It is helpful to know that the motor does the job well enough even though it is off center a bit. I would like to keep it such that I have clean access to the front door.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Keep in mind that if you use a transom mount motor you will need to spin the head 180 degrees so the tiller handle points at you. You can leave it as it is and turn the entire motor but you would then need to operate the motor in reverse but that means the prop is terribly inefficient operating in that dirction. The prop must point backwards (pushing) rather than pulling.

purplesage

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Silvertip - I had that one figured but have considered leaving it so I could have the motor head closer to the boat. I need to figure out an approach like Sean so I could remote steer it but have the motor in close to the boat. It is one thing neat about pontoon boats - there seems to be lots of room for doing things in a creative way. On more traditional boats there a fewer ways to do things. I am going to keep working it through though because I know there is a good way to do it that will work for me while fishing but will be out of the way so that the real skipper doesn't trip over it and ruin my day.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good point Silvertip, I forgot about that. You definetly want to do it. On the Minnkotas I have had it was real easy, you pull the screw out spin the head 180 and stick the screw back in. I have also been known to leave the motor pointed straight, lock the steering down and steer with the big motor, like we discussed in the motor thread.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Why not just sell what you have, buy a MotorGuide or MinnKota electric steer and be done with it. Control it remotely from anywhere in the boat. You can shorten the front gate to stow the motor, or simply loosen the clamp and raise it straight up.

mike243

Petty Officer 2nd Class

bass pro sells a quick detach bracket.i bought 1.i mounted the mounting bracket dead center of my front gate.i have to leave the gate open when its attached but thats no big deal.for trolling i lock it down & steer with my big motor.i dont think the bracket would handle a 55lbs motor but 40 or less i havent had any problems.my toon is only 18' .the bracket dosent get in the way entering the front when the motors not there.on my trolling motor i just pulled a bolt on the control head & turned it 180.the motor dosent care which way the control points

purplesage

Seaman Apprentice

I considered that solution but since my motor is only a 40 horse the boat is never on step and I would have the extra drag of the electric motor while underway.

I have basically come full circle and am looking for a bow mount with a foot control. I will either use a quick release mount and modify the front gate or mount the motor just to the right of the gate and cut a hole through the play pen (still working that idea out). Since this is a fishing model there is room on the floor there and it would be in the general area of one of the swivel seats (a good place for the foot control. This approach would mean the motor just moved up and down but didn't lay down (unless I do a complete cut away on the play pen and make some kind of removable brace for the top bar). If I go for the second option it puts the stowed motor in the area directly behind the gate when open ( it only opens to 90 degrees because of the brace). I guess it will all come clear once I have the actual motor here but I am still shopping at this point). I have a "power drive" budget but a V2 or Terrova appetite.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would think long and hard before I cut any play pen holes, or rails to accommodate a trolling motor. Trolling motors come and go but that railing has to be right, sometimes for safety reasons, sometimes to satisfy the law dogs, maybe one day to try to resell the boat.

I had a Motorguide on a Gator mount on a new 'toon in 1998 and took it back after the first trip out to trade for a pontoon mount.

Popping them up and down on a pontoon is different from a bass boat.

You can see the "stowed" position of my motor in my pic. When I get thome I take it off and lay it under the cover inside the railing.

IMO a trolling motor layed back over the deck in about any fashion is in the way. It is at best a pain in the neck to get around and at worst a toe catcher that causes a twisted ankle or sends someone over the side.

purplesage

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Imuss53 - that is the kind of input I need. It is the reason I have been asking the questions. I would rather learn from others experience rather than blunder through things on my own. My wife's favorite quote of mine is "alright, maybe I didn't think it all the way through". Don't like to hear that one coming back at me more than once every month or so. I wish I could see your picture a better. From the thumbnail I can't make out the electric motor. I am assuming it is just raised. Is the mount in the opening for the front gate?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Unless you and your passengers are complete klutz, install a MinnKota or MotorGuide electric steer right in the center like I did with mine. Fishing pontoons have a raised bottom section on the front gate to allow stowing the motor. I had to shorten mine another inch or so to clear the motor but the bottom of a full gate can be easily raised. You open the gate, dump the motor, close the gate and start fishing. When you are done, open the gate, stow the motor. Close the gate and head to a new spot. when under way nobody should be moving around on the deck anyway. If you use a quick release plate the motor can be removed in seconds for storage away from the boat or for travel. An electric steer troller (corded or wireless) can therefore be operated from anywhere in the boat.

TrollerDeployed.jpg

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Silvertip, I have a 55 pound Autopilot on a slide in mount now, and I usually pull it straight up and lock the height adjusting collar to hold it up. I fish with a lot of equipment on board and the bow gate is often the one we have to use to get on and off. I don't like to have the motor layed back through the gate if I don't have to. I've never had any problem with it underway and I personally think it bounces less while underway when it is straight up rather than layed back.

purplesage my motor in my picture is an older 36 pound Minnkota that I use as a back up. It is just pulled straight up and locked in place with the collar that allows you to adjust how far down into the water the motor goes.

purplesage

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Silvertip, the picture really helped. My gate is not shortened like yours but I could modify it easier than modifying the fence. I do think I might mount mine toward the hinge side of the gate opening so my wife will not have something to object to. I guess if you leave the main motor down and turn it slightly turn to counter balance the motor should work well. And IMUSS I will try your approach as well to see what works the best.

I think I have decided to make the stretch for the V2 so it is nice to have things coming into focus because even though it snowed yesterday fishing season is coming (I think).

purplesage

Seaman Apprentice

Well I did settle on the Minn Kota V2 - it should be here in a week or two so I need to modify the front gate. So Silvertip, if possible could you tell me how high you had to make the opening to clear the motor. And do you have the motor on one of the quick release systems (I gather that raises the motor a bit). I am just trying to get ahead of the game here other wise I wouldn't bother you. If any one else has any input let me know that as well before I cut the gate. Even though my boat is a fishing version the front gate is full height and has the lift and drop in closure.