I should know the answer to this but........ (control box related)

Gas Giant

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm in the market for a replacement outboard, and I have come across a Mercury engine to replace my Suzuki.

Obviously, I have a Suzuki control box on my boat, and I have some Teleflex control cables with the threaded ends I installed myself.

However, the Merc engine doesn't come with the control box - the seller is saying I just need a cable kit to hook up the control cables I already have to the Merc engine, but to me this doesn't seem entirely correct - I would think I would need a Merc control box to have the right pull/throw distance in the levers, if nothing else.

I just wanted to verify with the iBoats experts before I lay down any cash. I've always gotten great advice and info on this forum.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: I should know the answer to this but........ (control box related)

there are four things to consider when mixing control boxes with other engines and vs versa. 1) physical connection. this means the cable must be able to be connected at both the box and the engine. Kits for some of these mixes are avaialble. 2) Cable length. What may be the right length for one engine may not be right for the other. Less of an issue but an issue regardless. 3) Control box throw. You are correct in that all control boxes are not created equal in this regard and there is no adjustment for that. Cable adjustment trunions adjusts the cable length and has nothing to do with throw. 4) Push or Pull. Some engines require the throttle cable to push the throttle open while some require it to push. Some boxes can be configured both ways. Obviously the electrical harness may not match either and again, some kits are available for some mixes. While this explains the issues -- I don't have the answer for you.

Gas Giant

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: I should know the answer to this but........ (control box related)

Well, I think its good enough of an answer for me to pass on the engine and find one that comes with a matching control box.

Thanks!