Outer exhaust cover question 1997 SX250TURV

scjmc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am trying to remove the outer exhaust cover located behind the CDI. There are 25 bolts, and I broke the 4 in the middle of the cover. The other 21 are ok. The cover is stuck on because the 4 center bolts that broke (whats left of the studs) are siezed to the cover. I have tried to carefully pry the cover off. I have used a soft hammer, and PB blaster on the stud remnants with no luck. Any suggestions on getting this cover off undamaged? Also when I reinstall the cover since all perimeter bolts are sound can I reinstall the cover without the center bolts, or will an internal cover leak cause water intrusion to the pistons?

hawkman-1

Cadet
Re: Outer exhaust cover question 1997 SX250TURV

try using heat around the broken bolts to break the cover free then you might be able to get the studs out after the cover is off.

scjmc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Should I apply heat to the stud, or the cover? I have a small butane torch and I tried heating the stud and surrounding area. I think the aluminum dissipates the heat too quickly for the torch that I have.

robert graham

Admiral

I've heard of a trick for removing these studs. You weld a large flat washer onto the stud(center hole of washer about the same size of stud), then you weld a large hex nut to that washer, and it gives you something to put a wrench on. Seems like a pretty slick idea, if you have access to a welder. It might work and be cheaper than buying a new cover if it gets screwed up. Good Luck!

scjmc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks all for the input. I dont have a welder, but I was thinking that maybe i can pound the studs carefully with an air hammer and see if the vibration frees the cover.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Get a mapp gas torch and heat AROUND the studs to expand the alum. Then get a good sharp putty knife and try driving it in around the edges of the cover.

scjmc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks again. I did more prying and pounding. I tried the air hammer--that didnt work. I did get the bottom 2 studs to seperate from the cover. I can pry around in any direction, but I am afraid of prying too much and ruining it. My father in law said to try a mixture of transmission fluid and acetone on the studs to eat the corrosion.....I have sprayed some on them. I will try some more tomorow evening.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The tranny fluid and actone is a good mix used 50:50. Don't forget the heat.

scjmc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No dice on anything I have tried. I dropped the powerhead off this morning to let the professionals get the cover off and the bolts out.

scjmc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The shop had to literally destroy the cover with head to remove it. Melted and warped the crap out of it on the 2 studs that I could not get unstuck. The use of the air hammer was a bad idea and mushroomed the heads of the heads slightly. The shop said thats why they had such a hard time getting it off. Put new (to me) cover on and tourqued per the sequence on the cover and broke off 2 new bolts in the two holes that had the hardest to remove studs. The top 2 middle ones. I will be using JB weld to fill those holes in the cover.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

It is not normal to snap them off while installing.
What did you do, use some old bolts or not follow the torquing specs and procedures in the manual?
The new ones should be easy to remove as there should not be any corrosion binding

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

what are the torque specs for these bolts? loctite makes a product that can save/restore the threads if less than 30 lbs of torque. also make sure your bolt holes are deep enough, corrosion/crude could be in bottom of holes. I would also recommend "chasing " the threads with a tap. j/b weld can be used, then drilled and tapped. but holes must be clean of oil and corrosion. good luck.