1990 6hp E6RLESR compression?

Hello, I have a 1990 6hp Evinrude Model E6RLESR... I just did a compression test on it and both cylinders read around 90 psi.....Does anyone know what the compression should be? is 90psi good or bad? It wont idle and I just pulled the carb off and check all the ports.... all where clear and float looks clean.....Currently wait on the carb kit to show up in the mail. It would run at a high rpm but not a low rpm....at the high rpm it will kinda back fire??? anyone know what coul;d cuase this and if my compression is good at 90 psi?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: 1990 6hp E6RLESR compression?

Compression is fine. Look elsewhere. You might find an OEM shop manual helpful.

raczekp1

Lieutenant

maybe head is wraped and there is compresion unbalance when motor warms up

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

The compression for your motor is good. Carburetor kit is a good start, but please check your ignition system. Check that there is spark on both cylinders. Get a spark tester at any auto parts store $6 to $7 dollars. If it is idling very badlly then you may be running on one cylinder. Check your spark plugs and make sure they are not damage or severely fouled with crude. (cheap fix sometimes).

If you have no spark one cylinder then you may have a bad coil or power pack.

Here is a parts diagram for your motor!!

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1990/E6RLESR%201990/parts.html

May sure you have fresh gas and fuel to oil ratio of 50:1 (16oz of oil to 6gallons of gas or 8oz of oil to 3gallons of gas)

Good luck!!!!