to rebuild or not to rebuild?

dougcfields

Cadet
Let me start by saying I am new to boating and this site and I?m not sure what I have gotten myself into. I recently purchased this 21 ft Caribbean by Hardin Marine. That?s what the boat says anyways. I have spent days searching and cant find anything on this boat and the companies history is a bit confusing. But anyways I am just wondering if this boat is worth rebuilding. The floor is rotted and needs to be replaced I have already started replacing it. The OMC 800 series stern drive has a cracked upper gear case housing (going to see if it can be welded). I also can?t seem to identify which out drive system I have. Model #987241, Serial #J-0021 It also needs a new tilt motor and fuel pump. The guy i bought this boat from said the chevy 350 and outdrive were recently replaced even though the drive is broken. Thanks in advance for any help and advise.

Attachments

• downsize-1.jpg
    downsize-1.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 0
  • PART_1283734602670.jpg
    PART_1283734602670.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 0
  • downsize-8.jpg
    downsize-8.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 0
  • downsize.jpg
    downsize.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 0
  • downsize.jpg
    downsize.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 0

drewpster

Commander
Re: to rebuild or not to rebuild?

In my opinion trying to save the drive is going to be a lost cause. I think you would be better off to find another old boat with the same/ similar drive setup and swap it out. Attempting to repair a major failure to a cast case like that one is generally not do-able. Otherwise it looks as though you are off and running. If the engine is good then I would try for another outdrive. If the engine is also toast, then a repower is in order. Generally engines and drives are 50% of the investment in these old boats, however there are resources out there to find used setups that need may need some TLC or a rebuild. Short of repowering alltogetherits the next best option.

dougcfields

Cadet

The engine is def good and strong so Im gonna keep that. As for replacing that drive what else would fit in the hole of an OMC 800 series. Cobra??? Or is it gonna have to be another 800 series? Im a college student as well so my budget for this build is limited.

Bondo

Staff member

The engine is def good and strong so Im gonna keep that. As for replacing that drive what else would fit in the hole of an OMC 800 series. Cobra??? Or is it gonna have to be another 800 series? Im a college student as well so my budget for this build is limited.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... That's a Sharp lookin' hull,....
Too Bad it's Stringer drive powered...

I believe the hull was built by 1 of the many thousands of small boat builders in S,Cal. back in the 60s/ 70s/ early 80s....
If your gonna go through the process of replacin' all ya got dug out,...
You really outa Keep Goin'...

Pull the motor, 'n drive, 'n SELL 'em...
There's plenty of fools still tryin' to keep those antique pos's runnin'...
Parts are hard to come by, so piecein' it out will bring ya quite a few Bucks...
Maybe enough to buy a replacement 350 Mercruiser combo from a rotten hull...

With the drive/ motor out, fill in the transom, build it to 2" thick, 'n recut the standard keyhole cut-out...
It'll be then ready to plant the replacement driveline yer gonna find for it...

Good Luck, 'n We'll be here rootin' for ya.....;)

dougcfields

Cadet

I found An upper gear housing for the OMC at a good price but it says its an eletric shift and i think mine might be a manuel shift but im not positive. Will this matter on the upper gear housing? I also think the drive is from 81.