150 Blackmax Specs

Noah's Tub

Recruit
Hi,
I'm a boating noob, and am trying to revive an 1986 18' Manatee Bowrider with early 90's Mercury Blackmax 150 6 cyl.
I need a new stator, but have no idea where to look for one.
The local boat shop mechanic tested my motor and found intermittent spark was causing the rough low rpm symptoms.
3 of the coil packs were shot, and the stator is putting out about 4 volts, which isn't enough to send sufficient, even spark to all 6 cylinders.
A compression test was done, and found all 6 cylinders to be within 3 lbs of eachother, so the motor isn't terminal. The switch boxes also tested out fine, and are only 3 years old.
I am now looking for a stator, but am having trouble finding the one I need, as my serial# doesn't seem to match any of the listed serial# parameters on various boat parts websites.
My outboard serial# starts with "OB" followed by 6 numbers.
Can anyone determine why I can't find any parts dealers offering parts for this prefix of serial#?
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks!

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 150 Blackmax Specs

Noah;

You started out with the s/n but didn't complete it. Let us know the other numbers.

Gerry

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I would think you could source those parts at CDIElectronics.com, as well as many other places.

Get on maxrules and figure out the year by serial number. Then get on crowleymarine.com and look up part numbers. Google search on them usually reveals several sources.

carholme

Rear Admiral
Last edited:

Noah's Tub

Recruit

Wow!
Thanks very much Gerry.
This info is exactly what I am looking for.
Good advice, and good sources for parts / info.
Thanks again guys!

Noah's Tub

Recruit

Does anyone out there have a good source for "Used" parts for outboards?