Deck Boat Help Needed

KurtS

Cadet
Hi,
I went to look at two deck boats today and am looking for opinions.
First boat:
1999 23' Ebbtide Mystique
Sold by owner - no warranty
5.0L Volvo - was told it was 270 hp carbureted
very good removable carpet, bimini, cover.
Nice tandem trailer included.
gelcoat faded where it had color.
Seats starting to split a little, I could live with for a year or two.
Could get him down to $9,500.
I am going to test ride in a couple of days, when he gets it de-winterized.

Second boat:
1997 20' Regal Destiny CC
Sold by a marine liquidator - 30 day warranty
5.7L Volvo
No carpet or covers
New seat cushions, but old vinyl on interior sides
gelcoat was faded but they polished it out
No trailer
Wants deposit to test ride. Will not refund unless there are mechanical problems.
$10,000. He will throw in a new cover.

There is also a 2001 Key West Oasis 210LS with 115 Yamaha 4 stroke and trailer nearby, but I haven't looked at that one.

Anyone familiar with these boats or have any opinions? Will be used on a decent size lake (Lake Norman, NC). I am interested in deck boats because I had a tritoon and know I want something a little better for watersports. We have company visit from out of town a few times a year and need room for up to 8 people.
Thanks

viciousvolvo

Recruit
Re: Deck Boat Help Needed

I would go with the bigger one or another if you can find one. LKN is rough on weekends during the summer, I have a Four Winn's 26ft deck boat. I don't think unless I spent all my time anchored in the coves, that I'd want anything under 23-24ft. There is a lot out there in the $10k range if you don't mind driving to get the perfect boat. I'd focus on the motor condition above all else. Everything else is (relatively) cheap to fix or replace, the motors are always a killer. Make sure you do at least a compression test before you buy anything.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer

I'd run from boat #2, 10K seems a bit steep for a boat with no trailer. Unless you can give him $20.00 for a down payment in order to test drive sounds like he has you locked in even if you don't buy the boat. Test drive should be FREE. Throw him 10 or 20 bucks for gas at the very least.

cr2k

Captain

Motor problem while they can be expensive are no where near the cost of any type of transom and or deck/stringer work which requires removing everything down to the hull to repair. Be cautious of anything with soft spots in the deck.