Will Gas Prices Park Your Boat?

red_chaser

Seaman
Hello.

I'm just wondering if high gas prices will stop or reduce your boating.

I live 30 miles from the Lower Laguna Madre in South Texas and I am debaing if I should take the boat out on a fishing trip. My Silverado will use up 1/2 a tank to take me to and from the boat ramp. Thats almost a $50 plus gas for my boat and add to that bait and other stuff. That's a about +$75 in one day just for the fishing trip :eek::mad:. That money will get me to and from work for a week, easy :facepalm:.

How about the rest of you guys? Will rising gas prices ruin your boating?

wingmastr23

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Will Gas Prices Park Your Boat?

I am with you man.....I am sure it will factor into how many times we hit the water this year. Last year it was about $75 a day for gas - so this year it will nearly be double that. I have no doubt that we can afford to still do it - but it doesn't mean I want to do it bi-weekly like years previous.

We will probably go once a month this year.

robert graham

Admiral

I'll cut back somewhere else before I give up my boating. I think a lot of Americans are blowing their budgets by eating out most of the time. A couple of burgers, fries and drinks for me and the wife is $12 to $15! Eating at home is a habit we need to get back to, maybe so we can afford gas!

Scorpion210

Seaman

I don't expect to boat less. A few years ago when prices spiked, the lake was empty though. Made for a nice calm ride, but at times I missed seeing others out on the lake enjoying a nice sunny day

I am sure it will have an impact on many. Probably more short trips to the favourite anchor spot for a day on the water

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It will change some things, but not everything. Gas will be about a dollar more a gallon, or 25% increase. What cost $30 last year will be $40 this year. I figure I can cut back on the boating munchies (ex: make sandwitches instead of buying subs) and still be even.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I love boating Period! I do not have to do alot of water sports burning up fuel. I love just floating at the lake with the family and enjoying each other company.

Besides my Glastron isn't that bad on the fuel. My Ford 250 on the other hand :mad: is a pig. Distance to the Closest lake is 20 miles.

Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class

The 454 eats gas, but I have a nice deal with my buddy for this summer: He puts gas in his 07 Silverado to get us to the lake, I put gas in the boat. I'll be chuckling after a 30mi ride up when we spent 85% of the weekend sitting in the middle of the lake listening to music and drinking beer.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I'm not trailering the boat any long distances because of fuel, going to stay closer to home and burn boat gas instead of sit in a vehicle and burn vehicle gas.

jkust

Rear Admiral

No not one bit. We are generally unphased by gas prices up to the prices they have historicaly hit. Maybe we spend a few hundred more for the season. No big deal. If I had twins with a 30 footer, I'd have a different opinion. Our 4.3 liter Mercruiser sips gas and our 5.3 liter tow vehicle isn't awful either.

takirb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'll find a way to factor in the extra gas costs to my boating, i can't just let the boat sit in the yard unused. That's a waste of even more money lol It's less than 10 miles to the lake for me, and i generally don't cruise around all day while out. I plan a spot or area on the lake i want to fish, and instead of putting in at my favorite/convenient ramp, i'll just put in at whatever ramp is closer to where i plan to fish. I'm used to a 12 gallon tank lasting me a weekend or more, so if i fill up my 27 gallon tank and don't frolic from lake end to lake end, i'll be fueling up less than in the passed and still get as much fishing time if not more.

smitty28

Seaman Apprentice

Ill be upgrading from a 24fter to a 29fter and adding at least another 50 gals to the size of the tank.... I wont be out on the water any less, just not making long fast trips...well prolly putt around more and hit the sand bars more. Summer only comes once a year, Currently im looking out the window at about 5" of slop that just fell from the sky and wish i was filling up the gas tank in the boat!! :facepalm:

nlain

Commander

Since I am lucky enough to have water at the back side of my yard, my own ramp, such as it is, and dock, I will be able to boat fairly often, may stay in the river close to home and tube, anchor out and fish more than the hour run out to the beach in the sound. I am planing on making a trip to Fl, approx tow time 2hrs, that may be the only away trip for the year, just have to see what happens.

tfret

Petty Officer 1st Class

Park your boat? Nope! Boating fun with the family is still a bargin IMO. I can take my family out, plus a couple of the kids friends, for a full day of tubing and skiing and might burn 30 gallons of gas. So I spend $120, $130 for an entire day of fun for 6 people. That is a bargin. How much do theme park tickets cost, 80-90 bucks each or more, plus $15 meals? You still really can't beat the fun you can have with the entire family for the money on the boat. We make cuts elsewhere, like eating out for example. We basically quit eating out. Most families spend a couple hundred bucks a month easy on eating out. Whenever the kids gripe about us forgoing an expense, we simply tell them that the money has to come from the boat fund. That ususally shuts them up because they would rather take friends to the lake than anything else. So pack your lunch, skip the car wash, mow your own grass, whatever it takes, but don't park the boat!

Krichbourg

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is a factor, but I've got small boats and small engines for a reason. For me, the price of gas affects what my next motor for my bigger boat will be. Fuel efficiency is a big factor in that choice.

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I bought the boat to use it. It is my hobby / form of relaxation and is my "reward" for working hard. Gas prices may have an impact on the cost, but the cost will not affect my usage. I need the therapy! As a matter of fact, I am considering the possibility of a new boat (yip, 2 footitus set in) and the boat show here is in a week or so. If the added cost of fuel has any impact on anything, it might affect the admiral getting a pedicure.....but not the use of the boat LOL.

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class

A little (some quick joy hour long rides will lee way for all day at the lake). I will cut back on eating out, buy cheaper meat, trim some on vacation (and bar tabs). To me the money spent at the lake, the family time, the friendships, and the enjoyment I (and fianc?e) get from the "lake time" is still the best cheapest weekend entertainment around.

jasperboy

Seaman

Nope, but it will hurt. However we make room for what is important to us.

Home to marina R/T is 170 miles or 8 gallons in the car @ $4.00/on land = $32.00 per trip x 15 weekends (3 out of 4 weekends from May-Sept) = $480.00

15 GPH average burn rate on the boat at $5.00/gallon on water and an average of 50-60 hours per season = $3750- $4500. We have a 27' cabin cruiser, so we may spend more time docked, but not much.

Expected seasonal gas expenses around $5K. That will average about $333 per weekend, which is expensive, but we get so much fun that I won't worry about it too much.

Guess we will just consider it an expensive 1 week vacation that lasts all summer and includes family and friends.

Expecting weekend guests will offer to chip in gas money (as they normally do) as that will help offset some of the costs. Those that offer to help pay get invited back, those that don't sit home and wonder why they only got invited once.

As someone once said "if you have to ask how much, you probably can't afford it."

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No, but I will probably make a few more trips to the closer, less desirable lake this year than last year. Boating is a priority for me.

registeroot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

how much $ is your 'gas'?

it is currently ?1.30 a litre at the minute here.

= $8.42 a us gallon.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

No.... But i will do a lot more beachn' and driftn' then cruisn".:p;):D