Gear change problem

floharvey

Recruit
dont know how to start a thread but here goes
while trying to remove the bolt holding down the fly wheel on my evinrude 50hp yr 2000 outboard i hit a problem
wont type anymore yet because i dont think i am doing it right but if i am then i will explain a bit more
ben

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Gear change problem

ahhh, thats alright,
but why are you removing the flywheel for a gear problem.

floharvey

Recruit

needed to remove flywheel to repair broken starter motor bracket so i wrapped the prop with rope and placed the gear shift into forward then tried to remove flywheel bolt but with no joy so went to local garage and used windy gun to remove.
the bolt came out and i removed the flywheel got access to the broken starter bracket removed it, cast ally broken into three peices so welded it and refit parts then start engine which was ok but now the gear shift wont go into forward and when reverse is selected the prop aint engaging so it looks as though tieing the prop up to the lower end casing and trying to remove the flywheel bolt has caused the problem.
i removed the gear selector cable from the shift rod and the cable moves fine , anyone with any ideas as to what ive done

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Just a thought but you may have bound the gears up, or bent the drive shaft, depending on how hard you reefed on it using the lower unit as a holding device. Can you turn the prop (by hand)? The gears in the lower unit, and the drive shaft, are not designed to take the king of force you applied. You may have to pull the lower unit and check everything out.