Firestone 3.6 Boat Motor Question

Bill V.

Recruit
I have a Firestone 3.6, Stock (Model) No. 10-A-71, manufactured between 1950 and 1955.
How do I get the flywheel off? Removing the flywheel nut makes no difference. It does not come off. Do I need a gear puller to do it?

Thanks,

Bill V.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Firestone 3.6 Boat Motor Question

You need a flywheel puller. Not a gear puller. A harmonic balancer puller will do. Do NOT pull on the outside diameter of the flywheel.

JasonAych

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a Firestone 3.6, Stock (Model) No. 10-A-71, manufactured between 1950 and 1955.
How do I get the flywheel off? Removing the flywheel nut makes no difference. It does not come off. Do I need a gear puller to do it?

Thanks,

Bill V.
[il]

A puller like this one works great: http://www.harborfreight.com/46-piece-bolt-puller-set-37824.html

Be sure the grade 8, 1/4-20 bolts are installed evenly with grade 8 washers

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

These little motors are usually pretty easy to get the flywheel off without a puller.
With the nut on loose to protect the threads Carefully pry up on the flywheel with a large screw driver.Using a brass hammer or a block of hardwood to protect the crank end give it a solid whack should pop loose with a couple of whacks.Sometimes a friend can hold the motor up by the flywheel with the same results.I've used this procedure easily with a 5hp motor.I do stress be very careful of the crank threads.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yes, be very careful of the threads. Steelespike knows what he is doing, but too many people don't. I have seen countless crankshafts buggered up, even destroyed by people beating on the nut. That is why I never recommend it. If there is no way to use a proper puller, use a flywheel knocker. That's another topic that I've explained before.

Bill V.

Recruit

Thanks. I have a harmonic balancer removal kit. Should have thought of that.

Bill V.

Bill V.

Recruit

Thanks. It appears it hasn't been off since 1950.

Bill V.

Flower Lady

Recruit

My brother and I inherited from our parents a little Firestone motor like the one you have described (my mother inherited it from her dad, our grandfather). Does yours have a serial number 10356445, Code number 133-3-1035, and RPM 4000? The stock number and h.p. are the same as yours and it has Firestone Tire and Rubber Co., Akron 17, Ohio. What can you tell me about it? Do you know for sure it was made in the early 50's (or was it the late 40's)? My Dad used it about 15 yrs ago, and I remember him saying it sure was a "good little motor". I know my grandfather bought it new and I remember we all used it when we had a cabin on Lake Whitney (Texas) in the early 50's.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yours is a 1953. Reverse the last two numbers in the 1035 code number to arrive at that. "10" means it is a Firestone, made by Scott-Atwater. "35" reversed makes 53 (1953) the year.