opinion on a boat purchase needed

mrsportsguy

Cadet
found a 1997 cobalt 200 for sale - very clean. 5.0 engine. $15000. does this sound reasonable for that year of boat? I hear cobalts are the cadillacs of boats. thanks for any help

tschmidty

Chief Petty Officer
Re: opinion on a boat purchase needed

Cobalt makes very nice boats but that price seems high.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Its high but its that time of year, Lots of boats coming up now and prices will be increased to deal with the influx of new buyers, I would bet he has some haggle room in there, I agree if you don't know what to look for have it surveyed. Great boat when it was new but that was 14 years ago who knows how it was maintained since then, better to be sure then to purchase a boat ready for a complete rebuild....

riverkeg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Completely agree with the previous posters. Get a survey and if everything checks out, that boat could well be worth close to that price. Of course, I have dreams about my next boat being a Cobalt. When you get a boat, come on over to pool 18 on the river. We're always looking for new people beach with.

mrsportsguy

Cadet

Talked to the marina (I know the salesman pretty well) and the seller is very picky about his boat and he called it immacuate condition and I trust him totally. they do all the service also. the reason he's selling is $$.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Cobalts are nice boats and the more contempory Cobalts are very nice boats. For 15k, my preference would be a much newer, almost as nice brand boat.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Talked to the marina (I know the salesman pretty well) and the seller is very picky about his boat and he called it immacuate condition and I trust him totally. they do all the service also. the reason he's selling is $$.

Not trying to be a wise guy here, but if this was a used car you were buying for $15000, would you trust the salesman totally?

IMHO you need to look past the aesthetics, the salesman's word, how picky the current owner is, and see what an independent opinion has to say about it. Lots can happen to a boat over 14 years which isn't plainly obvious.

Most salesman are nice guys to talk to, I've known many while working at an auto dealer. That doesn't mean they wouldn't try to sell me the biggest albatross on the car lot.
Business is business.