1994 200HP Blackmax pickled for 5 years, any tips to start?

Hubboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I bought a 1994 200HP Mercury Blackmax Offshore. The engine was very well taken care of and has nearly no exterior corrosion that I can see. This evening I mounted it to my boat (where 1996 175 Offshore was), plan to connect power/fuel/oil lines later this week.

What should I do to prep it for starting?

My plan was to squirt some oil into each oil injection port, and spark plug holes, turn over by hand, then mix some 50:1 in an outboard tank in case the oil injection needs some time to flow.

Transport home in back of XJ Cherokee: :D
IMG_1189.jpg

What do y'all say?

j_martin

Admiral
Re: 1994 200HP Blackmax pickled for 5 years, any tips to start?

If the engine turns freely (lay hands on the flywheel and feel it turn) I'd just crank it up. 50:1 fuel for startup wouldn't hurt for sure.

If I were doing it, I would pull off the oil pump and make sure the pump shaft is free. The bushing under the pump can sometimes swell and bind in storage, causing the gear on the crankshaft to shear.

Slide the starter bendix up and down to be sure it's free. Lube it with a little WD40 if it isn't. You don't want it to stick in the flywheel on start up.

Hubboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the info.

I got it started (started right up). I want to rebuild the carbs and throw in a new water pump kit/thermostats.

The serial number is faded away on the little bracket sticker, how would I find out which carb kits fit my motor?

EVERY PLACE I CALL WANTS A SERIAL NUMBER!!!!!1 :mad:

Thanks,
John

Hubboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is the serial number any other place on the motor besides the little tag on the mounting bracket?

ONERCBOATER

Chief Petty Officer

I am not familiar with that engine but would check, the lil aluminum plugs on the block worth a try sometimes they have the serial number on them on some engines, you may also be able to get the numbers off of the carb this might allow you to identify the carb not the engine and chase down parts that way. perhaps call mercury and politely explain the issue, Last of all is the fail safe angle..... take it to dealer or shop, ask them what serial range it is or if they can positively identify it, perhaps offering to pay a few $20 or so for the information, some shops are very helpful and will do this for free (expecting your business in the future) others not so helpful. Someone else here will likely chime in with a much better answer, but just in case no one does I figured I would offer what lil I could.

sean

carholme

Rear Admiral

Sorry, double post.

carholme

Rear Admiral
Last edited:

Hubboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Carholme,
thanks for the additional information. I typed that last 0 in error.

That is the paper manual I bought on ebay for $20, figured it was a good deal for a real book.

I want to get carb rebuild kits (just since engine was sitting), and a water pump kit. Is there a rebuild "kit", I didn't see that on the mercury site (only separate parts, like various jet sizes? gaskets, etc). There are some after-market kits on ebasicpower, maybe I will call them.

carholme

Rear Admiral

If you look under Carburetor on the parts listing that I sent you, you will see the carb kits and the gasket kits.

Gerry