1969 85hp fouling points, misfiring on right 2 cylinders

bloodymalibu

Cadet
Hi,

I have a 1969 85hp Evinrude. The points were replaced at some point, IIRC with Sierra-brand parts from Napa. I have them gapped at 0.010 per the instructions cast into the top of the motor next to the points.

Two problems:
1) The points foul up completely every time the boat sits for a few months. Have to pull the flywheel, clean, and gap.
2) After doing that, the motor will start easily (usually), but after 10-15 minutes it will start to misfire on the two right-hand cylinders. I think these are #1 and #3, but I'm too lazy to go outside and look.

One thing that concerns me is that the point contact surfaces aren't perfectly parallel, i.e. they were never filed. Would this really make that much of a difference? Should I try to file myself to straighten, or do I just have a goofy set of points and should replace again? Any other suggestions?

The amp and coil were replaced at about the same time as the points, about 7-8 years ago. Still have original coil and think it's ok, but old amp was definitely toast. Current draw on new amp seems ok. Motor has barely accumulated any hours since replacements. Spark tester confirms intermittent spark on both right cylinders. When it does spark, it easily jumps a 3/8" gap per spec.

One other thought. The boat hull is in bad shape after being hit by numerous tree limbs and is not worth restoring. Motor is in OK shape for its age and not having much major work done in 42 years. Carbs were just rebuilt, but it needs a new thermostat, due for impeller, shift solenoids stick under load, lower unit leaks water and oil at all seams, etc etc. Am I right in thinking that it might be cost effective to bench-teardown and overhaul this motor and find a cheap motor-less hull in better shape to mount it on? All I want to do is fish occasionally on the Lake Murray inlets and maybe pull a skier every now and then... couldn't care less about the Joneses and a bunch of fancy new features.

Thanks guys.