emergency kill switch

marvinjansen

Petty Officer 1st Class
In 1973 they didn't require a kill switch, just an ignition switch. Where would you suggest I put this new "dead man switch" on my Aristocraft 19?

ziggy

Admiral
Re: emergency kill switch

finally, an aristocraft question. man we been a little slow here lately. good thing spring is around the corner.

so do ya mean where on the console should you locate the switch?
or do ya mean where should you hook the wires?

not sure i can answer either question as i don't have a kill switch. but i'm sure interested and i've considered adding one too. seems like a good idea.. ejections do happen..

marvinjansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is required by law here in alabama so I guess I need to add it. I would think it would be inline with the ignition switch wire to the coil. Maybe they come with directions.

ziggy

Admiral

It is required by law here in alabama so I guess I need to add it
bummer. aren't you a red state? less govt. intrusion into your life? :rolleyes::facepalm: best i understand ne. rules. (which is red too)it's required to wear the shut off lanyard, if so equipped (and that only applies to pwc. i don't see any rules for boats). don't say we have to add one that i'm aware of. i do agree, it is a good idea to have a safety shutoff lanyard. of the deaths here in ne. at my local watering hole the last few years. all have had folks in the water. some of them ejected, some blown out of their boats.

i'd think mount it somewhere that the lanyard don't interfere with steering or throttle operation. low and starboard imho. i'd assume the products come with instructions too as to which wire you should splice into for ign. interruption.

Last edited:

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

I was told that if the boat didn't come originally equipped with a kill switch, it isn't required that one be added. You will need to verify that with your local jurisdiction to be sure. I only know that for MS and FL.

That said, you can check out the dash pics of mine and see where I located mine. Even though I didn't have to have it - I still wanted one anyway. When you get yours; make sure it is a good one. The one I added to my Glastron wasn't made as well as the toggle type I added to the Aristocraft. It never gave me any problems. I just never developed a trusting feeling for it and always wondered if it would leave me stranded.

http://s763.photobucket.com/albums/xx271/dbkerley/Projects/Aristocraft/