5.5 johnson

whitetrash

Recruit
NEWBY HERE!!!! So I found this 5.5 seahorse in the attic of the garage (just bought house 2 weeks ago) Started up ran water pump was working etc.. Do you think its worth having it "tuned up", was gonna put it on my sons 14 ft jon boat. cd-18s model number 2206555 serial number. What year is this and what is the fuel ratio please and thank you. Motor is shiny and clean no oil or grease under the cowel.

kbait

Commander
Re: 5.5 johnson

1961. Pull the recoil and the flywheel 'window' and see if the coils are cracked. If they are, replace 'em, as they will fail. If they're not cracked, and it's running on both cylinders, you're probably good. If the coils are original, they WILL be cracked, so if they're not, they've been replaced before. 24/1 fuel/oil mix. Change out the lower unit grease and run it on the boat and see how it goes.. Also change fuel hose from pump to carb. Good luck!

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

They say the 5.5hp early sixties is one of the most reliable outboards Johnson ever built. I sell old outboards and I can't keep a 5.5 for more than a week before it's gone. Great motor to find in an attic!

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yes, the old 5.5's that you find in an attic after buying a house is the best ones to get. :D The 1961 models are the first year they went to a needle bearing crank and rod set up, so they were the better models, as far as running a leaner fuel mix. The earlier models were babbot bearing set ups and needed a 16:1 mix. They were every bit as reliable though, but just needed more oil. I sold a boat last summer that had a 62 model on it and it ran great. As od now, I have a 55 and a 58 siting on my rack, waiting for me to restore.

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

Hey buddy, nice score there!!! Here are couple of links to keep you entertained and allow to tune up and inspect your motor!!

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repair.com/Johnson/Evinrude%20Johnson%205.5%20HP%201954-1964%20Tune-Up%20Procedure.htm

Link for a parts diagram for your motor!!!

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/vintage-evinrude-johnson/ITEM_2512/catalog.html?http://www.marineengine.com/parts/vintage-evinrude-johnson/ITEM_2512/ITEM_251200001.htm

Remember fuel to oil ratio is 24:1 (16 oz TWC-3 2 cycle oil to 3 gallons of gas). Please don't let someone tell you that with the newer oils of today that you can go leaner. The 24:1 ratio will give you plenty of lubrication and keep your motor running forever!!! Use synthetic TWC-3 2 cycle oil if you think it might smoke a little. But with 24:1 fuel to oil ratio that should not be a problem. Yes the oils of today are superior, so all the better to protect your motor!!

Good luck!

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Whats wrong with your carb? Why not rebuild yours?

Ooops. Nevermind. I saw your other post. Anyhow, you should easily be able to find one at those sites.:cool: