Volvo Ms3

Status
Not open for further replies.

brailediver

Cadet
Any body out there have a procedure for replacing the sliding sleeve on a Ms3? Is it necessary to disassemble the drive to replace it or can it be done in the boat?
Thanks,
Gene

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Ms3

You have to remove the transmission from the boat. I do have a manual, but need to know exactly what model you have, is it just the MS3 or is it a B,C or D model. Maybe you have a serial number for it, it might help, I don't know.

brailediver

Cadet

No serial numbers or tags. It appears to be a Ms3C 1.92:1 ratio. Danged hard to tell the difference! Any easy way to tell?

Don S

Well, it's either an A, B, or C, so if it looks like a C, I will upload that manual and give you a link to it here in a little bit.

brailediver

Cadet

The sliding sleeve appears to be fine, but the shift assembly is pretty worn(bushing & pin). Any literature on disassembly? The pin that rides on the cam lobes is bent & worn.
Thanks for all of your assistance. Volvo mechanic was WAY expensive!
Thanks,
Gene

Don S

Any literature on disassembly?
Pages 7 and 8 of the manual I gave you the link to.

Why did you suspect the sliding sleeve needed replacing? If it was due to slippage, then it probably does need replaced. You can not look at a one and tell if it's bad or not, I go by feel. The edges of the grooves around the tapered part of the sleeve must have sharp edges, if they feel round, it will not lock into gear solidly and will slip.
From the sounds of your shift mechanism, it needs replaced too. If the ramps are worn where the pin slides on it, it will allow the gears to slowly engage and slip on the way into gear. After so much of that the sliding sleeve is gone.

brailediver

Cadet

Wasn't slipping. Just needed a nudge to go into gear. I checked the old sleeve (Micrometer) against the new one & the wear was negligible. It appears that the shift assembly bushing & pin were worn. There are hardly any hours on this gear as he had his "mechanic" rebuild it just before I got it. Evidently, the shift assembly was ignored. I borrowed a newer shift assembly & it worked fine. Now I just have to figure out how to get the rolled pin out of the assembly to remove the index pin. It is a Ms3C.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.