Engine Cleaning Merc Alpha One 3.0L

Kuna Matata

Seaman Apprentice
I just got my first boat and I am so ready to hit the water.... But I know having a boat means maintenace and upkeep.... I want to clean the engine and get the oil and dirt off and make it look nice well clean. Whats the best way to do this? Is it safe to spray off with the water hose and pump it out using the bilge pump. Please let me know I dont want to do something I am going to hate myself for.:eek:

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Engine Cleaning Merc Alpha One 3.0L

I personaly wipe down the engine of any free standing debre with a rag and then mist it with WD-40 and wipe it down once again then just lightly mist it once more just lightly just try to stay off any taped areas like wiring harnesses and it always looks brand new. If you do decide to use water stay away from any electrical components and the carb throat.

Kuna Matata

Seaman Apprentice

Could I use engine cleaner to make it look nice and new... It dusty and wanted to wash it off..

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

I don't see why not but like I said if you hose it off keep clear of electricals thats why I said use WD-40 it repels and or displaces water so it will help prevent water entering electrical connections.

Bondo

Staff member

I don't see why not but like I said if you hose it off keep clear of electricals thats why I said use WD-40 it repels and or displaces water so it will help prevent water entering electrical connections.

Ayuh,... If you're gonna Hose it off,...
Bag the Alt., dist., 'n the igntion 1st...

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Dont use engine cleaner.That is designed for a grease and gunk covered motor.If you use engine cleaner,your paint on the motor will look dull and chalky and you will probably want to repaint it.Use simple green or greased lightning instead.After you hose everything off,run the motor to dry everything up.Then spray some semi gloss engine enamel on the parts that lost any paint.Charlie