Any Input or Info on a 1976 Evinrude 15HP Tiller Motor??????

JtJr09

Cadet
Hi,

I am thinking of purchasing a 1976 Evinrude 15Hp tiller motor with Electric start for my 14ft Aluminum boat.

I am not an evinrude guy, I have always had Mariners. Any info on this motor as far as reliability and maitenance.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Any Input or Info on a 1976 Evinrude 15HP Tiller Motor??????

Those old Evinrudes are good motors. But all boils down to how well it was maintained.

78 mckee

Seaman

Properly cared for, these motors are some of the best ever made. Get the scoop on recent service (ignition tuning, carb rebuild, water pump impeller, etc.). If there is no recent history, expect to address all of these areas in a motor that old. If you're getting it at the right price, it is well worth it, but figure the service into your total cost to get an accurate total. I have a '76 that runs like a scared rabbit; you would be very happy with a properly running '76 15 hp Evinrude.

kbait

Commander

That's a points motor ('74-'76), and if there's any lateral play in the armature/stator plate (Pull the cowling and try to wiggle it at different throttle settings) I'd steer clear of it. The charge coil under the flywheel tries to yank the stator plate much more than w/o the charging coil, and if it develops lateral play, it will directly influence point gap, and is difficult to effectively stabilize. I have a '75 15hp estart, and I ended up removing the charge coil after the 3rd arm. plate stabilization attempt. It runs ok now..
Bottom line, check for the lateral play, and be sure to test run (at least in a barrel) before purchase. Make sure it'll idle VERY slow and not miss a beat. That's the main weak link of those point ignition motors. Unless it's a great deal, I'd spend my $$ on a '77 or newer.. good luck!