Replacing deck

lcdr frank

Seaman Apprentice
I am finishing up my winter repairs to my 15' Duroboat (alum). My last task is to replace the 15 year old deck which was 1/2 " with textured vinyl. Due to the previous owner cutting holes with out sealing the edges of the wood, the ply has rotted out in these places. I was thinking painting marine fur plywood with thompson water seal and finish the top with bedliner material and coat the rest with paint. What due ya'll think

Frank

bitterboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Replacing deck

The Thompson's Water Seal is meant for Exterior Deck (like on a house) use. That can be maintained over the years.
You might be better off getting some regular exterior use paint, putting a couple coats on the ply wood to seal it and then applying a vinyl or carpeted layer.
The truck bed coating is going to be very hot on the feet, since it's usually black in color.

There are however a number of posters here who have asked the same question. You should do a search to find those threads.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Forget the thompsons it will not last in a marine environment. If you want the cheapest way...... marine plywood and many coats of marine varnish. We really have not had any success stories with bedliner but, we have had many horror stories, hot separation, fades and more.

If you are going to spend the money and use marine plywood I would suggest you do it right. If it was my boat....... I would use exterior plywood, fiberglass resin, two layers of mat and be done with it.

cretus

Seaman

+1 on the fiber glass. I'm in the process of replacing the transom, stringers and floor in my boat. My advice is do it right and glass it in water tight. You dont want to get into what I'm doing becasuse of water under the deck. I'm going to use a bedliner type material in my boat when I get through. Have a look at it. It comes in all different colors.
http://www.durabakcompany.com/colorchart.htm