Used boat purchase - what maintenance questions?

seaman-recruit

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Newbie (soon-to-be) boater looking at small (24'-26') cruisers with I/O power. As many listings have the ubiqitous "Well Maintained" description, what are some specific questions that I can ask relative to expected engine - I/O maintenance procedures that should have been conducted as part of a regular maintenance protocol?

dozerII

Admiral
Re: Used boat purchase - what maintenance questions?

Welcome to Iboats, you will want to ask when the belows, and impeller were changed last. The condition of the leg oil, check to see if it is milky . Compression on the engine and color of the oil (milky). Check for looseness in the bushings and pins in the bell housing and gimbal. That will give you a place to start.
Glen

Bondo

Staff member

Newbie (soon-to-be) boater looking at small (24'-26') cruisers with I/O power. As many listings have the ubiqitous "Well Maintained" description, what are some specific questions that I can ask relative to expected engine - I/O maintenance procedures that should have been conducted as part of a regular maintenance protocol?

Ayuh,.... Ask if it's OMC powered,....

If so,... Run away....

If it's Mercruiser powered, make sure it ain't a 470 motor...

If it is,... Run away....

Other than that, a close Inspection, 'n maybe a compression test....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Things like how often the oil and gear lube is changed. Should be Yearly.
Things like bellows, water pump impellers are maintenance items. many drives need pulled to have the alignment checked and the coupler splines greased. Also yearly, but seldom done.
Much depends on the Make Model, and year of what you are looking at.
Before you buy anything, spend a day and post here with what you are looking at and info on the engine and drive.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

IMHO once you have asked the questions and have made a decision, hire a boat surveyor to go over the entire boat, hull and drive. The couple of hundred spent here could save you thousands down the road. Believe it or not the older and less expensive the boat the more important this is. BTW listen to Bond-o. Good luck.

seaman-recruit

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Terry (and others that responded). I think you're spot-on regarding the survey being money well spent. I will do that and continue to leverage this forum since the knowledge gained comes at a very reasonable price. :)