Guardian prop hub?

ccustomrides

Seaman
I got my new prop in the mail 3 days ago. I ordered a Stiletto prop for my boat and got a Turbo 1 because in the paperwork it said out of stock on the stiletto model. Anyway thats fine and they are made by the same outlet anyways and from what I hear the turbo is a better prop. Last summer I ran a 21p stainless 14 1/4 dia. My boat ran great but I was a little low on the RPM. Maybe about 4200 RPM at the most. I wanted to get the 19p to get into the 4500-4800 range. I have a 200cc Sea Ray with a 4b 4.3 lx. Anyway so I get my prop and inside the box I find the prop hub kit. I used the same guy that I purchased my other prop from last spring. I look at the box and instead of the mercury Flo Torque or whatever I see Guardian on the box. So I say ok whatever they are all the same. I look inside the box and what I see is exactly what the pic shows when you type in guardian on the iboats website under search. You get back thrust washer,black hub with splines already in it???? then what I call a keeper maybe and flat washer with one side having a sticky tape side.???? So i see no nut or any other way to secure the prop on the shaft. Do I just use the keeper and the locking washer from my old setup to secure this one or do they sell one for guardian but it just dosent come in the kit. I did see one website sell a nut something else and a cutter pin for guardian. To me I hate the look of cutter pins and does my alpha one gen 1 even come with a hole in the output shaft for a cutter pin? So my question is this? Did I get screwed and it should of came with a nut and some way to secure the nut or do I need to get all of that extra jazz on my own dollar and the hub kit only comes with what you see. Will my mercury kit fit this prop. On the box it says use guardina only? The main thing i see is the built in splines inside the hub vs the insert we use on mercury hubs. So if someone can share some light on how to install this hub kit or what I am missing would be great. Also if anyone has a full diagram or instructions on how this kit gets put together that be great. I just see all kinds of stuff on the net it makes no sense because I should of got everything in the kit. Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Guardian prop hub?

To me I hate the look of cutter pins and does my alpha one gen 1 even come with a hole in the output shaft for a cutter pin?

Ayuh,... Merc uses a Nylock nut,.. Use the original nut...

ccustomrides

Seaman

Thanks for the answer bondo but what will keep the nut from coming loose? On Merc style we have that locking piece with tabs on Guardian there no such piece??? all i got was washer,hub and washer with a piece that goes on the shaft after the prop and washer goes on to that.

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks for the answer bondo but what will keep the nut from coming loose? On Merc style we have that locking piece with tabs on Guardian there no such piece??? all i got was washer,hub and washer with a piece that goes on the shaft after the prop and washer goes on to that.

Ayuh,... I've never seen the kit you've got, so I can't say for Sure, Anything....

That said,...
The Merc nut has the Ny-lock holdin' it pretty darn well, by itself,...
And,...
Maybe if ya headed accross the Atlantic, in Reverse, it might be a Problem,...
In forward gear, inertia forces the nut, Tighter....;)
You'll Never loose a prop in forward gear, Ever....

ccustomrides

Seaman

Ok. Here is the link to the Guardian hub kit I got. Look at the pic and thats what I found in the box. Maybe its just missing a nut and the tab piece. http://www.iboats.com/Stiletto-Guar...2881234--**********.252735010--view_id.372653

Now here is the link to the regular kit we most use and thats on my boat right now.
http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=IzB0TcGpN8-Ctgelr6GEDw&ved=0CGwQ8wIwAA#
I just dont know why I am the only one with this kit and why it says this prop can only take this hub kit. I thought all the hibs were the same.

ccustomrides

Seaman

So after some web searching I did find few websites selling the Guardian hub kit for Stiletto props. They did say that nut and tab washer has to be purchased and not included in the kit. All the sites I looked at did say that but had no nuts or tabs for sale with the kit.???? So do I just use my old nut and tab from the Mercury style kit. I will try to call my dealer and prop place to c WHAT THE DEAL IS.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... It appears in your link, that the kit you have, uses the locking tab washer, 'n nut from the standard Merc hardware...

ccustomrides

Seaman

Thanks for the info. I did call prop dealer and prop shop that makes them. They all said that Guardian usually never comes with the nut and tab washer. All you have to do is use your old one or buy a new one for 11 dollars or so. I just had no clue if I was missing parts or this hub worked in some other weird way. Plus they say it should work better then Merc hub because splines are inside the hub and it reduces play in the hub. Oh well.