looking to buy a boat

citation560

Recruit
Can anyone give me some input on a 1994 Wellcraft excel 20 sl? Cuddy cabin,4.3l cmercruiser,cobra outdrive. They want $6700 obo. Don't know anything about wellcraft. How does this model compare to something similar to Reinell or Searay, etc? Thanks for your help.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: looking to buy a boat

Can anyone give me some input on a 1994 Wellcraft excel 20 sl? Cuddy cabin,4.3l cmercruiser,cobra outdrive. They want $6700 obo. Don't know anything about wellcraft. How does this model compare to something similar to Reinell or Searay, etc? Thanks for your help.

Ayuh,... Mercruiser, 'n OMC are 2 very different manufacturers...
So,...
It's either a Cobbed up Mess, or you're mistaken...

Don't buy Any boat powered by an OMC driveline...
OMC went Out of Business over a Decade ago...

Bifflefan

Commander

The best thing for you to do is go find a friend that knows something about boats. Have them look at it, then listen and do what they say!!!!
If they say no, then dont buy it.
BTW, a 4.3 in a 20' Cuddy, is not much motor.

Tolyn

Seaman

Greetings!

I suppose I'll chime in with the obligatory "check for soft spots in the deck" warning. Anything that age is a good candidate for major below deck issues (see my project link below for an unfortunate example).

Respectfully,
-T

QuietRider21

Seaman

i've owned a 93' excel 20ft. i ended up having to rebuild the whole floor. ive looked at several others too and they ALL had rot issues around the ski locker..inspection of the floor and stringers is a must. they are relatively shallow hulls too, so the cuddy on that 20' might be cramped and useless depending on what your going to use it for