What brand of trailer is this?

RDJuhl

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi,

I purchased a 1981 Ranger boat last summer, along with this trailer. Does anyone know what brand of trailer this is? Is it a Ranger?

I need to order the U-Bolts holding the axle to the frame...as I think I need to move these wheels a bit forward to get some of the weight off the towing vehicle.

Thanks for any information.

Attachments

• DSCF0070.jpg
    DSCF0070.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0071.jpg
    DSCF0071.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat 002.jpg
    Boat 002.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

10thHawk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: What brand of trailer is this?

Picture is worth a thousand words. :D:

Bondo

Staff member

Hi,

I purchased a 1972 Ranger boat last summer, along with this trailer. Does anyone know what brand of trailer this is? Is it a Ranger?

I need to order the U-Bolts holding the axle to the frame...as I think I need to move these wheels a bit forward to get some of the weight off the towing vehicle.

Thanks for any information.

Ayuh,... The U-bolts don't care what Brand of trailer they're going on,...
Just buy the Size, 'n shoulder shape ya need....

What makes ya think the axles needs movin',..??

Did you Weigh it,..??

RDJuhl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Uhhh yes....a picture would help...duh.
I have now attached.

Bondo

Staff member

Uhhh yes....a picture would help...duh.
I have now attached.

Ayuh,... The pictures don't even show the U-bolts...
Not that it matters,...
See my 1st post for the answer...

RDJuhl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The "tongue weight" seems very heavy. I will be weighing the trailer when I get the boat out of winter storage. Then make a final decision on whether to move the axle forward a few inches.

I am not able to physically lift the front end of the trailer...which leads me to believe the balance is not quite right.
What is the proper procedure for this? Here is what I had in mind:
1 - find a drive on scale
2 - weight just the boat while it is attached to the hitch of the towing vehicle (drive the towing vehicle off the end of the scale)
3 - unhook the boat from the towing vehicle and weight just the boat again
4 - the difference in weight should be the tongue weight - right?

Do you know what the correct ratio of tongue weight to total boat/trailer weight?
Thanks

Bondo

Staff member

I am not able to physically lift the front end of the trailer...which leads me to believe the balance is not quite right.

Ayuh,... The tongue weight should be 10% of the trailer gross weight...
I wouldn't think you should be able to lift it very easily....
That's why We use jacks with wheels on 'em...

jefferym

Recruit

One solution is just to load gear differently in the boat while towing. My trailer my was too light on the tongue when I bought my boat. I moved the anchor to the front and added a spare tire to the front and now it's good. You might also keep the gas tank filled while trailering.

jefferym

Recruit

I just looked at your pictures. If you have a battery for your trolling motor sitting in the bow of the boat move it to the stern while trailering or over the trailer wheels. That alone may solve your problem.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Looks like a square axle. Even if round, just pull a bolt and head to the hardware store. The trailer looks like any generic boat trailer so you may never find a brand if it isn't on the title.

tjf

Banned

I think your fine most of your weight is in the back, with the engine...

bitterboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Uhm, if your gonna adjust the weight of the trailer tongue.
Before you go monkeying around with your axle. Try moving the winch stand back a couple inches first. That will be far easier than moving the axle forward, as well as having to keep the axle straight so as not to offset it and cause all kinds of problems with weight distribution, tracking, tire wear, etc...

Second, moving the axle will also cause you to have to move the wheel covers as well. Most trailers are very well balanced from the Manufacturer for a specific weight range of boats to be loaded on them. The trailer you have looks very well set for the boat you have. As I said earlier, try moving the Winch stand first, if you must move something on the trailer.

But as others have said, look at how your loading the boat before you move anything.

NYBo

Admiral

Rangers usually came with Ranger Trail trailers, but, as already noted, that's not relevant to the discussion.

It looks like the boat is too far forward on the trailer. Move it back so the end of the bunk is flush with the bottom of the transom. Adjust the winch post accordingly. In that last picture, the bow eye isn't even snugged up to the stop on the trailer, so the setup is definitely wrong.

mbruce333

Cadet

It's actully a 1988 (maybe other years, too) Shoreland'r. I've got the roller version under my 1988 Arima Sea chaser 17. Look around on the shoreland'r site and I'll be you can find the exact model. The roller version is a SSR2116S, and you can get manuals and part lists here:

http://www.glmarine.net/shorelandr/RegularBoatTrailers/1988-regular.html

I didn't see a bunk version, but the roller version should have all the same parts regarding the U-bolts and such.

Hope that helps...
MB

RDJuhl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi MB...many thanks for the info and the link. It does in fact, look like a Shoreland/R. I would never have found this info on my own.
I will be getting my boat out of storage in a couple weeks...and then look to replace the u-bolts.

RDJuhl

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer

:eek:You can't just move your axle. The axle has to set in the center of the springs. To move the axle forward or back the springs need to move. You would need to cut the shackle brackets off with a torch, get new ones and weld them to the new location on the frame and hope you are square. From picture #2, I suspect you would have to also move your fenders. I would do this only as a last resort. The trailer jack is there to lift the front of the boat.

Last edited:

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer

What are you pulling the boat with? Even if the tongue is a little heavier than normal, as long as it doesn't overload the tow motor, it won't be a big deal. Does it follow correctly? As long as it doesn't cause trouble, I wouldn't mess with it. A heavy tongue may even help you on slippery ramps if you are in 2wd.

Kamdyn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My friend, the longer the tongue the less weight the vehicle would have to carry on her axles. If you have a 16FT boat for an example you need a 18FT trailer. If the front is heavy, get a bigger trailer or modify the tonque so the weight gets distributed to the back.

RDJuhl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am learning from all the advice. The trailer does trail very straight. I am pulling it with a Tacoma 4 WD, so the weight on the vehicle is not an issue either. I was just concerned with the excess weight on the trailer jack...worried that the trailer stand might collapse. But it might be easier and cheaper to get a heavier duty trailer jack.