Ionic Silver

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander
I have been reading up on Ionic Silver, and Colloidal Silver for medicinal purposes. Has anyone had any experience with these, or make their own Ionic Silver?

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Ionic Silver

A true colloid is the best way to get silver. Some of the products out there settle out. A true colloid doesn't as all the particles are small enough to stay suspended in water by brownian action. If you shine a light beam through a colloidal suspension, you can see the beam, just like a sun ray in a dusty room, only much finer resolution.

The trick to making a true colloidal silver is low voltage and controlled current. I invented a device to do that. Makes 5 - 20 ppm, your choice. The colloid won't settle out. Samples here that are years old are still in spec.

At today's prices there's about 4 cents in a gallon of 10 ppm. You lose a little in the electrode cleaning, so it costs about 10 cents plus the cost of the distilled water to make a gallon.

The guy that turned blue made his by connecting several 9 volt batteries to silver electrodes. That would run away and make a fairly heavy concentration 100's of ppm of small, but mostly not colloidal particles. He stirred the mud and drank a pint a day. No durned wonder he turned blue.

European royalty was known as blue-bloods. Their complexion tended toward a bluish tinge because they always ate off silver plates with silver utensils. Acids in their food would take a bit of that silver into their bodies. They also were noted for their good health. The silver probably protected them from common microbes.

It works. It's cheap. Any side effects are cosmetic. (like turning blue if you get crazy with it.) I can't make any definitive claims without getting into legal trouble.

My 02, based on experience.
John

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like you have had some experience John, ....I do have access to a mass spectrometer to check particle size. Tell me if this process is worthy enough.

Converted coffee pot, 9volt dc "ac adapter", two Canadian silver maple leafs for electrodes, fish tank air blubber for circulation, and distilled water. I plan on using a hand held laser to check for silver transfer, and check a sample in the mass spectrometer. Also leave the heater on the coffee pot for 1hr. and then check the silver concentration over a period of several hours. I am trying to get around the 20 ppm.

j_martin

Admiral

Maple leafs are fine for electrodes. We usually use 4-nine thin sheets for more surface area/wt. (cost mostly) 9 v will barely start the process, but the dirty coffee pot might give you enough contamination to start it. Process will avalanche toward the end producing large particles because the current should be limited to about 15 ma with that size electrode about 1/2 inch apart. (guess from memory).

What I set up was a 30 V DC supply and a current source (15 ma in this case) driven from it. Start voltage would be near 30, and would go down to about 5 when finished. A comparator circuit and toggle circuit would shut down the power supply when the finish voltage is reached.

You don't need heat. You don't need much if any agitation unless you're going for higher than 20 ppm. I recommend setting up in a glass container.

With a little imagination you can see how cascade switches could set it up for different electrode gangs and finish ppms.

Design was stolen from me and marketed by wishgranted.com.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Amazing, that is genius to use cascade switches for that purpose. Sad to hear that your process was stolen. Sounds like a very sound process.
I met this guy that makes a kit of a nine volt battery, wires and two thin silver electrodes. The electrodes are placed in a drinking glass with tap water:eek:. He sells them like hot cakes.... I didn't buy into it though, the particle size would be way to large. I bet he will run into trouble down the line.

bassman284

Commander

Well, this is all very fascinating, but I think I will stick with my foil hat for the time being.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

LoL Yea bassman I see what you mean.

The military has socks, and underwear with silver thread to ward off fungus.
Silvadine cream is used for burns and healing bad cuts.
Catheters have microscopic silver on them to prevent infection.
Old timers used to put silver coins in the milk jug to keep it fresh longer.
And the list goes on.......It is interesting to study this stuff, so thought I'd ask a few questions. Keep the tin foil hat handy though.:D

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

They put silver in filter cartridges to retard bacteria growth. I don't have any hard core data but apparently it has some merit.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Forgot to mention, a lot of modern hunting scent blockers use colloidal silver. Also top of the line camo hunting clothes have silver in the threads.

Moody Blue

Captain

Some of the higher end sleeping bags now also use silver as an anti-bacterial agent.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

I know that is well known that silver is an anti-bacterial. I am curious though, when you ingest it how does it not kill the good bacteria?

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

I know that is well known that silver is an anti-bacterial. I am curious though, when you ingest it how does it not kill the good bacteria?

From what I have been reading, people who ingest colloidal silver in a controlled amount, also eat plenty of yogurt. My plans are to use the stuff externally to use as a mouth rinse, treat athletes foot, and use as a scent blocker for hunting etc. I cannot vouch for people who ingest it.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

From what I have been reading, people who ingest colloidal silver in a controlled amount, also eat plenty of yogurt. My plans are to use the stuff externally to use as a mouth rinse, treat athletes foot, and use as a scent blocker for hunting etc. I cannot vouch for people who ingest it.

Gotcha. I have read many accounts of homesteaders coming west that would put it in the water barrels for an anti-bacterial.