50 hp Merc Lower Unit

borz170

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a customers merc 50 hp OB in my shop and ive discovered a stripped out drive shaft and a broken gear that connects to the bottom of the shaft. I am trying to put this back together for the guy in the most economical way possible. If I fix it, I will need the shaft and gear, plus a seal kit. I am not a dealer and I mostly work on PWC's, so I have little resources more than the average Joe, when it comes to OBs. I looked on Ebay for individual parts and a used lower unit. I am not having any luck with a replacement lower less than 500-1500 and I can't get the individual parts cheap enough. Does anyone know if I can get the shaft, gear and seals from an aftermarket company? Any other sugestions would be greatly appreciated.

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 50 hp Merc Lower Unit

borz;

Why are you looking for the LU? Is it damaged. Need the s/n of the engine if you have it and I don't mind looking for you.

Is the shaft long or short?

For the seals and gaskets, that shouldn't be much of a problem.

Gerry

borz170

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would rather put the one I have back together, but I need the drive shaft and first gear.

carholme

Rear Admiral

Well, we may be able to help you find the parts but as I said in my earlier post, need the s/n of the engine to determine what we are looking for.

In your first post you said the gear on the bottom of the driveshaft. Do you mean the pinion gear or in your last post, the forward gear?

Gerry

Last edited: