Hydrofoil

hunter0527

Seaman
Doing research on hydrofoils. I know the purpose, quicker plane, better fuel, lower rpm, etc... however is there any difference between any of them? I have a 01 mercruiser 135HP 3.0L and I see that some on ebay range from $1 - a lot $$$. Are some plastic? I am assuming a metal one is better but will plastic work and are they recommended. what about design, i see one piece and two piece, which is better? any recommendations, and information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you to all!

dockwrecker

Lieutenant
Re: Hydrofoil

NO stinkin' foils!!! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggg!!! we have this discussion every freakin week!:mad::mad::mad:

(This message brought to you by Dockwrecker. Grand Master and CEO of Stamp Out Hydrofoils and other worthless boat crap)

Bondo

Staff member

Doing research on hydrofoils. I know the purpose, quicker plane, better fuel, lower rpm, etc...
Ayuh,... Those are the purported Plus's to 'em....

The Con's are,...
They put Big loads on things that aren't designed to carry those kinda loads,...
They cause a good riding hull to run Nose-Down, rather than it's proper attitude....

Hull mounted tabs are a Waay Better option....

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I'll second that.Trim tabs are a better bet.There are active and passive tabs.
Also prop selection can improve performance.
I/Os can struggle to plane. What is it that you want to occomplish?

DaNinja

Lieutenant

These weekly threads are fun..

Popcorn anyone!
popcorn.gif

DaNinja

Lieutenant

I'd love some!!! Please pass me the bag, Ninja...:D

Would you post the link to get animated smileys? Thanks!!!:)
<passes fresh bag of popcorn>

I grab smilies when I see them,
Right click> Save as> choose the location on your machine>>>upload to Photo Bucket or place of your choice

Try it with
popcorn.gif

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Sad state of affairs. All the naysayers are on this forum. The other 9 million 8 hundred thousand five hundred and twenty two that bought them and didn't speak up are not counted.

DoeFin invented the hydrofoil. The rest are imitators. I wouldn't own a boat without one. After 27 years mine hasn't broke anything yet and I'm quite satisfied with the performance gain, fuel savings and speed increase.

Mine is on a 3.0 Liter Mercruiser as well, but I've since added them to a 4.3 Mercruiser on a Cuddy, a 25 HP outboard and an 18HP outboard. If you're underpowered you probably need one. My boats that are overpowered can't live without them!

A common thread is that all of my boats were stern heavy due to kicker motors or other gear placement done to provide a better layout.

Trim tabs are fantastic as well. The extra $100 or so really isn't an issue. So, if you don't have any intereference with speedometer pitot tubes or depthfiner transducers, go ahead and but them on instead. When you drill the 12 holes in your transom, just be sure to seal them up well.

kilowatts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Guys:

Just like Jim, I've read all the negative comments on iboats about hydrofoils but I've never experienced any of the supposed problems myself. In fact all I've experienced are the stated benefits on the store package! Naturally, I'm happy with them.

kilowatts

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

I wanted a hydrofoil and a trolling plate both, so I cut out a piece of aluminum, from a sign, in the same shape as a hydrofoil. Cut it to fit under the cavitation plate on the motor to give more support, as the trolling plate adds a lot of uppressure to it. I understand the hydrofoil on top of it does too. I have a 40 hp Johnson on a 16 ft aluminum Crestliner which I thought was too light anyway. I also added a cabin and a 30 gal fuel tank in the bow. Now it doesn't feel like it's going over when I get it planing. The homemade hydrofoil gets it to plane fairly fast, even with all the weight in the bow. The added weight helps me hold it steady fishing in high wind, with a lot of current. And it rides smoother I think. After 8 years of the plate, no damage and I use the boat close to 80 hrs a month all summer, both for pleasure and fishing, which I guess is pleasure also. I guess I don't agree with the majority on here, but that's ok with me. I sometimes make waves without my boat.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Good luck to all of you fin owners from those of us on the otherside. Nuff said. :rolleyes:

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Having tried 3 different brands my personal preference is the sting ray,tried a doel fin, seems to work ok but not as well as the stingray, also tried an attwood but on a different boat, didnt like it. All that being said dont listen to the negative comments, make your own decisions, they do work and they dont break or wear out anything.

Mi duckdown

Commander

If you have an I/O. Or inboard. power trim tabs are the only way to go. Bennet etc.

mike-the-cobra

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I wish I would have tried my boat with the hydrofoil. When I bought it, it had a hydrofoil on it and I immediately removed it and replaced it with the SmartTabs (due to the discussions here). However I have now taken off the SmartTabs this winter and await to try it with nothing in the spring. Unfortunately the SmartTabs made my boat "plow" thru the water. I "assumed" that the previous owner put on the hydrofoil for a reason (the only time I drve it with the hydrofoil was the test drive), and I should have tested it more before throwing the SmartTabs on it, with and without the hydrofoil.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

No doubt your boat is really bow down but I think your tabs could be made to run more normally.
The factory has been very helpfull getting boats setup right.It does appear from my reading that foils can improve handling,comfort and hole shot but may not necessarily improve mpg.
I've had 2 sets of doelfins on a 15 ft outboard and an 18' Cobia 3.0.There is no doubt they improved hole shot and kept the bows down better and never any damage from their affects.
As with tabs I think to agressive an application can reduce speed and waste fuel.
On many boats poor performance and hole shot are from a poor setup and many people jump right to foils or tabs instead of refining their setup.There is a interesting thread just above discussing tabs It surprised me a little.

hunter0527

Seaman

I have a 01 rinker 180 and when i get 8 people in there it takes forever to plane. I have only had 8 in there one time, 5 adults, 3 kids. obviously this is not the ideal situation, however if this ever happens again will a hydrofoil help me or is it a waste? i notice even with 4 adults and 2 kids it seems like it really drags to get up. i know the 3.0L is small and that if i 4.3L i may not even be having this conversation. thank you very much for the replies, sorry if this is a weekly topic but I really did use the search and didnt find too many posts on this.

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer

I have a 01 rinker 180 and when i get 8 people in there it takes forever to plane. I have only had 8 in there one time, 5 adults, 3 kids. obviously this is not the ideal situation, however if this ever happens again will a hydrofoil help me or is it a waste? i notice even with 4 adults and 2 kids it seems like it really drags to get up. i know the 3.0L is small and that if i 4.3L i may not even be having this conversation. thank you very much for the replies, sorry if this is a weekly topic but I really did use the search and didnt find too many posts on this.

I doubt it would help much. 8 people + 135hp = Draggin *** not matter how you slice it.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I haven't jumped in on one of these threads in a long time.

Most of those that hate foils have no clue as to how they are supposed to work, what they actually can do, or how to set one up correctly. This doesn't mean every boat will benefit by using one and an I/O is less likely to benefit without a trade off in some areas.

To be used correctly the foil should not be in the water at speed, this is where the possible handling issues come from, its also the reason it can be difficult to set it up on an I/O.

What a foil does. It allows you to raise the motor up on the transom so there is less gearcase drag, this may result in a higher top speed, better mileage and less bow rise due to less leverage. The foil just helps to prevent ventilation by placing a barrier between the prop and surface so air can't be sucked down.

If you have the foil dragging in the water it may help with a couple of things, but may also cause the handling problems many people report. The vast majority of people just bolt one on and head to the water and expect an improvement in every aspect of performance, well it doesn't work that way. If one will help and that's a big "if", you won't know until you do all the set up work and possibly change props.

Trim tabs and foils do totally separate things, and while there ?may? be some similar benefits, they go about getting the job done in a different manner.

Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class

A hydrofoil works exactly like an airfoil on an airplane. Angle of attack, foil profile, flow velocity, vorticity, and many many other things go into making a hydrofoil work effectively. If you just slap one on somewhere on your boat, there is no telling what it will do, God forbid if you just cut it out yourself. You could be creating downforce instead of lift, or if you put it in the wrong spot or get going too fast it could flutter itself right off. Not to mention the foil will create turbulence and vortices that will affect any part of the hull downstream. You don't want your prop sitting in the middle of a vortex sheet, it's a recipe for cavitation.

Not saying they can't be useful at all, but don't do it yourself.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

"A hydrofoil works exactly like an airfoil on an airplane. Angle of attack, foil profile, flow velocity, vorticity, and many many other things go into making a hydrofoil work effectively."

This is how people believe they work, not how they actually work.

" it's a recipe for cavitation."

There is almost no way for foil to create cavitation, but yes, if its set up incorrectly and dragging in the water there is a small possibility of some type of flutter that could cause problems, not likely though. The wing (shape) effect of a foil is mostly hype, the fact that its a barrier to ventilation above the prop is what makes it work when used correctly. When used incorrectly and dragging in the water the fact that its a large flat surface has more effect than the actual wing shape, this is also what creates the handling problems.