Johnson seahorse 33hp 1962 not running well

hukkieftw

Cadet
hello,

I'm not new to iboats but this is the first time im posting a thread becouse I have a serious problem with my engine.

A couple of months ago i bought an Johnson '62 seahorse 33hp. i took the whole tail appart, sanded it all and got it repainted. i fully reassambled the entire engine but now I got a problem. Engine won't run well. bogs right down and dies without hard throttle and even tries to die at hard throttle.

I'm sure alot of peolpe here have lots of experience & knowledge with these kinda engines and I was hopeing someone could help me out!

Greetings from holland
Hukkieftw
Johnson.jpg

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Johnson seahorse 33hp 1962 not running well

'Tail' means what? ... and how could we possibly know how you assembled it? Did you do any powerhead disassembly? Were carbs removed? Tell us more about exactly what you did?

hukkieftw

Cadet

hey Jim thanks for the comment.

with tail i ment lower unit and exhaust housing. the only disassambly i did was taking off the flywheel to check the coils, and removing the cylinder head to repair the thread of one sparkplug. I removed the carb and took it appart to clean it out. so the powerhead did not come more appart then that.

hope this clears things up.
if you have any more questions please ask!
any help is welcome!

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

OK, you're sure the flywheel went back with the key in place and it was correctly torqued?

Was the carb cleaned by soaking in carb cleaner, all orifices cleaned, blown dry and assembled with a new float, etc.? Was float correctly adjusted? Was needle valve replaced? Did you have an OEM shop manual?

Did the motor run right before disassembly?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Nice looking old motor there. :D What condition were the coils in? If the insulation on the coils is cracked, then they'll need to be replaced. It sounds like you could be running on one cylinder.

BTW, I'm finding the 33hp was built from 1965 to 1970. What is your model number?:cool:

hukkieftw

Cadet

Jim, the flywheel can only be assambled one way, but that doesn't matter becouse I checked it after I tested the engine. evreything looked okay up there.
I gave the carb a good clean useing carb cleaner, but did not replace anything the needle valve was ok and the float also seemed fine. I dont know if the float was correctly ajusted but it will be the first thing in the morning i will check. Ive got an johnson outboardmotor service manual to help me.

Ill keep you informed

hukkieftw

Cadet

hey

thank you! it was a load of work but I must agree it looks nice.

the coils where in good shape i guess, ill make a picture tomorrow. i also thought it might be running on one cylinder, but i got spark on both plugs.

Well I think its a '65 then, I get a little confused with the years. got some more old engines laying around waiting to get fixed. but i will check the model number and let you know.