1982 evinrude 70hp water pump HELP

big7069

Recruit
Woman with her first boat needs some info. Does anyone have a video or the proper way todo a water pump on this modle engine i have searched online and cannot find anything close to what i have its either too old or too new i was told theres a rod running thru it and a gear in the center wondering how the disconnect any info on this would be great you tube let me down also thanx

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1982 evinrude 70hp water pump HELP

It would be a wise choice to go to ebay and buy a manual a OMC manual for that motor.You will have it for this job and anything else that you may need to do to the motor,It gives step by step instructions.
You may find one right here at iboats

big7069

Recruit

thanx for the info but thats no where close to what i got its a 3 cyl also has no thermostat at all that i can see if anyone has the specific engine nfo ild apreciate it thanx i did get an online manual from outboard expert.com and even it is not much help

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

thanx for the info but thats no where close to what i got its a 3 cyl also has no thermostat at all that i can see if anyone has the specific engine nfo ild apreciate it thanx i did get an online manual from outboard expert.com and even it is not much help

Welcome to iboats.
The bottom end of the water pump is pretty generic to the one shown in the link.
The linkage may be slightly different though. The principle is the same for virtually all outboards of that era.
What manual did you get ???

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Post your exact model number so we can do a little research for you.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Get an OEM factory shop manual. Either Ebay or outboardbooks.com. There's no 'free' on line manuals for J/E motors that are any good.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Yes the motor "should" have a thermostat since it was originally equipped with one. Based on the age it would not be out of the question that someone removed it but, it should be there to run properly.

Seloc has some online manuals too but the best manual you can have is an OEM manual from outboardbooks.com which has been mentioned already. The cost of an OEM manual is offset by the first DIY repair.

big7069

Recruit

3/18/2011
For those who may need a step by step here it is i just finished my first water pump and went great !!!!!!!!! Youll need Perfect Seal Compound by QuickSilver it helps hold gaskets in place doesnt harden and keeps water out A MUST if your in saltwater but for freshwater it works great too.

"Use as a Guide to follow."
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1982/E70ELCNB 1982/GEARCASE - 20" TRANSOM/parts.html

Gear Case Removal...
1) Pull the cover off the motor and tilt it upwards and brace it in place
2) 3/8" short well socket with swivle to remove the thru bolt on the shifter level under left side from back of motor
3) 7/16" bolt to take off the trim tab " Use a black marker to mark 3 places on it make sure it goes back EXACTLY where it came off i used a Y marking pattern 2 marks at top 1 at bottom to insure its back in place right.
4) 1/2" bolt under trim tag u just removed ull need deep well socket
5) 16mm socket to remove the screw 2 inches from trim tab
6) 9/16" wrech to remove the 4 bolts hold gearcase on 2 each side leave 1 in for now but loosen it
when your ready to lower it remove the last bolt and pul it out.

Water Pump Removal...
1) Remove the round rubber seal at top of the gear shaft to get the houseing off
2) 3/8" socket remove all 4 bolts to the waterpump aka impeller houseing PAY ATTNTION what direction the rubber is bent on the impeller also DONT loose the key pin thats inside the propeller that keeps it in place its round little 1/2" pin. Pull it up off the shaft.
3) I got the pump KIT it came with all the metal plates to replace so that what ill describe if yours dpesnt still remove then and clean them up a bit use a razor edge and be carefull as u clean them off u can also use wd40 itll help take some the gunk off it.
4) Theres a flat plate under the impeller that SHOULD "mine didnt but it does now :)" have a gasket on it use sealer compound on both sides. Inside the pump houseing theres a round metal ring that should be replaced and a flat plate under it.
5) Flat Head Screw Driver and remove the water tube guide and replace the round rubber groumet under it " they give u a bolt to replace it i left the screw. ( coat all bolts with sealer compound )
6) Replace the round rubber seal on the bottom of the houseing and use seal compound to help hold in place.
7) The fun part ... slide the impeller on the shaft use a little grease or wd40 on the rubber itll help bend them when u goto put houseing on then put the houseing on and rotate it CLOCKWISE bending the rubber impeller in the direction your spining. Itll take 2 people to make it go easier in place bolt houseing back on use seal compound on all bolts.

Re-installing Gearcase...
1) GEt atleast 1 person to help you here. Pull up on the shifter rod to put it in gear and itll help as u guide it all back up into the slots MAKE SURE the water pump guide tube goes inside the tube coming down out of the inside of the motor or ull get no water at all going to the motor. Put one screw back in each side by hand to hold it in place then relax your almost fishing !!!!!!!!!! Reverse the bolting process from above hand tighten all bolts at first then use a zig zag pattern tightening them up slowly as u go untill all bolts are snug tight enough but dont crack it remember its aluminum.

I dont 1/2 *** anything i do and believe if your going todo it do it right if your replaceing the water pump spend the extra 30 bucks and do the thermostat also.

"Use as a Guide to follow."
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1982/E70ELCNB 1982/CYLINDER & CRANKCASE/parts.html

Thermostat Removal...
1) Remove the cap to the motor
2) 3/8" socket remove the 5 thermostat houseing bolts looking at the motor from behind its right infron of you. Becarefull theres 2 springs in there and 2 plastic pressure relief valves and 2 rubber groumets " Groumets DONOT come with the thermostat kit so make sure u get them when you order your kit."
3) Scrape off all old gaskets with a razor blade and wipe down with wd40 DONT remove metal just gasket. Remove the cork gasket on thermostat itself and clean it up. Pitch old thermostat DONT REUSE.

Thermostat Install...
1) Use sealer compound on both sides of all gaskets and on all bolts
2) put cork gasket in then the thermostat in then the main houseing gasket in the houseing itself
3) line up the springs and valves in the houseing and carefully smash it all togather as you screw in the first screw hand tight then put in the rest by hand.
4) Once all are in tighten in a zigzag pattern slowly geting tighter till all 5 bolts are snug tight but not too tight remember this is aluminum.

MOST IMPORTANT step after you fire it up and u see the water pouring out all places its sapose to come get me and we will go fishing.............................................
Hope this helps any questions fell free to ask... ENJOY Please Sticky Me

Last edited: